Dry Ridge Opinion Please

Hello,

I wonder if someone could help. My neighbour and I used a "roofing" firm to fit dry verges and I also had a dry ridge system fitted. This, I was advised would be maintenance free.

Parts of my verge fell off 4 times and to be fair to the guys they did come back - in the end I think they just glued some on! My neighbour's fell off a good number of times too but eventually the firm stopped answering our calls, texts and emails so we had to get someone else in to fix it properly. 

This has left me very anxious about the ridge system and whether it will be water tight or not. I can't see any problems inside the loft but got my nephew to send his drone up and take a couple of photos. Would someone mind taking a look and giving me a view on them?

Many thanks in advance. 

IMG-20220507-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220507-WA0000.jpg

Looks exactly like mine, except the gaps between the ridge tiles seem to be larger than I would have liked..... but I don't think they are going anywhere. 

Your question is about water-tightness. That isn't provided by the ridge tiles (in this case) Its the membrane under those tiles that acts as the waterproof layer. And we can't see how well (or otherwise) thats been been fitted. Short of taking the ridge tiles off and looking at that , we can't (I think) be of much help.

The other thing you can do is ask another (local) roofer for an opinion. But you'll likely have to pay for that. 

What concerns me a bit is why did the ridge tiles fall off at all?  Is your roof in an exposed position - open to locally strong winds?

There should be a ventilated membrane that laps over both sides of the ridge tiles and keeps the roof water tight. Can't see from your pics of you have one as it is normally wide enough to be seen. 

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/hambleside-danelaw-dry-fix-roll-out-ridge-and-hip-vent-system-6m-kit.html

You might need to screw a tile of and have a look unless you can see it.

Many thanks for your replies guys. 

There is a membrane underneath as I watched them fit it and ended up picking up all the backing parper from it. I was a bit concerned that it is semi-permeable but I guess that means it lets moisture out but not in?

Tough buttercup - it wasn't the ridge that fell off but the dry verges they installed at the same time. Every time there was a bit of a draught some more would fall off. That's what made me get anxious about the ridge - Nb. if the verge was so badly done, what was the ridge like?

7 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Declan, you can just see it in the middle tile of the top image and the left hand one of the lower image ....

7 hours ago, joe90 said:

If you zoom in on Those photos the “membrane” appears to be about 50mm wide only, my membrane is continuous and a plastic piece under the joint???

That's the union you can see, not the membrane.