CEF vs TLC - differences in cable quality

Thorfun

I need some 4-core 0.75mm cable for our external electric blinds. we have a CEF and a TLC local to us and I've been on their websites to compare. Can anyone tell me the difference between these 2 cables please?

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/1959395-3184y-0-75mm-pvc-round-flexible-cable-black-100m-drum

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA0dot75F4B.html

the CEF cable is £14.95 more expensive for the 100m drum. why is that? better quality or is there no difference and CEF are just more expensive? And, if so, are CEF more expensive for a reason? i.e. better customer service? no quibble returns? etc.

And finally, anyone got any opinions on a CEF vs TLC comparison for other electrical goodies? I don't have an account with either (but am signed up to Screwfix/Plumbfix/ElectricFix who will price match) but I wonder if it's worth getting an account with either CEF or TLC.

thanks.

CEF can be a lot more expensive for the same product without an account, if you call the branch you will get a better price than online.

also try electrical direct, they are online and some good deals

6 minutes ago, markc said:

CEF can be a lot more expensive for the same product without an account, if you call the branch you will get a better price than online.

also try electrical direct, they are online and some good deals

thanks. maybe I can pop in tomorrow and ask why their cable is more expensive than TLC and see what they say! they might price match or offer a better price but if there's no difference in quality between those 2 cables I linked above then why would I go for the CEF product?

not sure I really need an account for my electrical goods. I will be buying all our electrical and data cable and sockets but not sure it's worth getting an account when I can get stuff online cheaper. it was mostly for last minute things I've forgotten or need to pop in to town to pick up. maybe I'll just stick with TLC depending on how they answer my questions tomorrow.

Just now, Thorfun said:

thanks. maybe I can pop in tomorrow and ask why their cable is more expensive than TLC and see what they say! they might price match or offer a better price but if there's no difference in quality between those 2 cables I linked above then why would I go for the CEF product?

not sure I really need an account for my electrical goods. I will be buying all our electrical and data cable and sockets but not sure it's worth getting an account when I can get stuff online cheaper. it was mostly for last minute things I've forgotten or need to pop in to town to pick up. maybe I'll just stick with TLC depending on how they answer my questions tomorrow.

I only use CEF when necessary (a local independent does really good prices) but going into branch and asking can often get you 20 or even 30% discount at CEF

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Temp said:

Is it going in conduit or exposed to UV?  If exposed it would be nice to see UV resistant in the description somewhere. 

these will be behind the blinds head unit which will, in turn be behind cladding. so, it will be outside but will not be exposed to UV directly. I'll pop out and take a photo. 🙂 

the cable hanging down is the one that comes with the blinds. I will run a cable from the plant room to each blind to connect to the blind motor's cable through a hole in the wall behind the silver head of the blind you can see below.

image.jpeg.b29d14d5ad257b108eacf049b1f20577.jpeg

the timber cladding (tongue and groove) will come down to cover the slat stack.

the cable that comes with the blind motor (a Geiger GJ5606k) has the following written on it:

image.jpeg.665ca873c34bb97cad59bda350790830.jpeg

a quick Google tells me that the H05RR-F cables are rubber flexible cables. I see no reason why I need to use rubber cables for my run from the plant room to the external blind. so back to PVC cables then.