Full planning permission, reducing size

DannyG

Hi all

We have full planning permission for a fairly large (340m2) house but due to the current economic situation have decided to reduce the size of the property by around 50m2 by removing one room downstairs and making all the upstairs bedrooms smaller.

The amended house will sit entirely within the footprint of the approved design and look identical apart from obviously being smaller in both width and depth.

Will we need to go back through the planning process as a new application or would this be considered non-material?

Changes that would affect the bulk/volume will require re-approval. That can be done via a revised Full application or Variation of Condition application. Both will take approx. 8 weeks but you may be entitled to a free go with the revised Full application route. 

Thanks both. I don't see any issues with getting a new application passed given that it's smaller but wanted to try and avoid the time delay. I wonder if we could just start building and then go for retrospective permission?

1 hour ago, DannyG said:

Thanks both. I don't see any issues with getting a new application passed given that it's smaller but wanted to try and avoid the time delay. I wonder if we could just start building and then go for retrospective permission?

No major harm with that approach.