6m Sliding Door - Triple Glazed?

richo106

Hi All

I have been getting some quotes regarding our windows, doors and sliding doors

The supplier has said that our 6m sliding door would have to be double glazed due to size and weight and was unsure if the gearing would take the weight.

I just wondered if this is standard for a sliding door of this size? We are focussed on good energy efficiency/ air tightness but not passivehaus standard.

14 minutes ago, richo106 said:

Hi All

I have been getting some quotes regarding our windows, doors and sliding doors

The supplier has said that our 6m sliding door would have to be double glazed due to size and weight and was unsure if the gearing would take the weight.

I just wondered if this is standard for a sliding door of this size? We are focussed on good energy efficiency/ air tightness but not passivehaus standard.

Nonsense.

You need a new supplier!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

The lift and slide type seem pretty good and heavy duty.

Even sliding doors like the visioglide should be able to handle that. Bottom line, it's down to poor choices in the hardware/design if it cannot take the weight for a triple glazed 6m door.

Edited by craig

We've got a 6m triple glazed slider coming from IQ Glass - they call it their "Minimal" system (the aluminium profiles are actually manufactured by Keller).

I had a similar experience, asked a local supplier / fitter for a quote for Origin 4m sliders in triple glazed  it they said Origin would not give a warranty and they didn't really want to fit it as too heavy 

• 3 months later...

Heb Homes told us the same that our large windows (8.6m of glazing part of which is a slider) is very heavy and they don’t recommend 3G in it. Nordan is their supplier.

We went to visit Nordan on Friday and they effectively talked us out of 3G although said the weight argument was nonsense. Their reason was the difference was marginal for the extra cost (15% more according to Nordan although Heb said it’s 5%) They said a better investment was in solar control glazing for the large windows (south elevation) Somewhat confusing. 

2 hours ago, Kelvin said:

effectively talked us out of 3G although said the weight argument was nonsense.

The NTech sliding door sash weight limit is 135Kg, that's not that heavy to be honest. I'd pretty much agree with Heb Homes on the weight limit. A lot of systems struggle with weight and suppliers will come up with alternative design options compromising on the overall design. It's simply system limitations. 

I'd agree with Solar control, it's a lot of glass but I'd question their logic and difference on price. It also depends on whether Nordan / Heb are talking glass percentage difference or overall cost difference. I'd say Heb are talking overall, Nordan talking cost difference between double and triple (glass unit only).

Thanks for that. My thoughts were 3G on all the other windows, which are mostly the North elevation. And 2G solar control on the big south and west elevation windows. 

Edited by Kelvin

Go triple on them all and solar control on the triple where required, look at other systems if Nordan cannot do what you need. I know Heb Homes use Nordan all the time but there's others that can easily achieve what appears to be what you want.