Rain water coming in between window and window cil

mfmcdonagh

Hi, 

I have a problem with a window in my garage. The windows board hasn't been put in yet, but i notice that rain water is coming in underneath the window. It looks like there is a gap between the window and the window sil. Should I put sealant on along this gap.

246158860_2022-05-0614_07_27.jpg

a.jpg

The fitters should have put sealant on the inside edge of the bottom of the window to seal with the sill! If they are UPVC then the gap at the outside should not be filled as this lets condensation within the hollow frame escape!

Can we have a wider view of the window please inside and outside. 

It looks like the water is on top of the membrane/tape. Which makes me think the water isn't coming in from under the window 

From the limited photos it looks like a tilt and turn window. Have the fitters drilled weep holes on the outside of the frame?

I'd like to see a picture from the outside with a clear picture of the gap at the bottom but it looks like their has been no sealant added at all. It also looks like the window is sitting directly on the stone cill with no upstand for fitting a stub cill?

I don't know the system used but I presume uPVC, you have no stub cill and you have zero sealant between the window and the stone cill. The mitred welds don't look that great either from the picture. Solve the issue of the seal between the stone cill and the window and your problem should be resolved, was there any DPC installed? I also don't see any mastic running vertically between window and render? What have they done here?

I'd go back to the supplier/manufacturer and ask them for the cill detail.

6d60e05f2f3b8e2dacb4a79bf6de2006.png

Edited by craig

5 minutes ago, craig said:

and you have zero sealant between the window and the stone cill. The mitred welds don't look that great either from the picture. Solve the issue of the seal between the stone cill

If it’s UPVC then they usually drain through that gap, the sealant should be on the inside.

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

If it’s UPVC then they usually drain through that gap

Usually not when face drained, bottom drained yes but these are face drained, but I'd be expecting a stub cill for both options tbh.

Edited by craig

10 minutes ago, craig said:

these are face drained,

Ah missed those drainage thingies. 

11 minutes ago, craig said:

but I'd be expecting a stub cill for both options tbh.

Why, what does it do?

14 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Why, what does it do?

Having the stub cill basically expels the water out and away from, the window. Sealing underneath to prevent any water ingress into the house. 

image.png.9376631f910d2bf8cfa4ae0fafc4e7d6.png

If you open the window can and look to see can water drain out to these holes following the red lines if it makes it past the rubber seal of the window. 

There should be a slot there to allow drainage on the inside that you can see with the window open. You can test it with a jug of water.