Floor Build Up: from theory to practice

ToughButterCup

This is the suggested build up of our floor (from the slab upwards ). Because the architect has a cruel sense of humour he has specified German stuff ... again. Achtis Technical

This is how it goes;

FloorBuildUp.png.f318a91615596eb280193f044001ff55.png

And you can bet my bottom dollar that it'll be more expensive than necessary

All I want (ahem ...well we want... ) is a warmish floor. And we've got 25mm to do it in. In the words of @Construction Channel, 'How hard can it be?' We'll be using a bit of electricity to walk on, and we'll have grand kids doing their best to scratch the Hell out of it, not to mention the odd dropped angle grinder. 

Why oh why does the world need so many flooring products? (Sorry, 'solutions')

Comments; suggestions, please.

Ian

So this is tile warming not room warming ...??

25mm to play with ..??

10mm tile

2mm adhesive

6mm SLC with heat wire in it

6mm thermal board

leaves you a mil to account for floor unevenness ....

It appears that you don't need the self levelling compound.

You can go down to 4mm thick with Marmox and 6mm with ProWarm, but obviously the insulation gets better as it gets thicker.

They cost around £10 a square metre depending on thickness etc.

It would be difficult to get under 25mm with tiles, maybe with 4mm board.

I'd probably go for vinyl. It is thinner so you can get a bit more insulation under it. It is warmer and more comfortable underfoot and probably less slippery, although you can get tiles that are less slippery also. There here will be no grout to maintain and people cannot drop stuff on it and crack it. It is easier to clean. Properly fitted, vinyl can look just as good if not better than tiles. Tiles probably last longer and are more durable from general wear and tear.

http://www.theunderfloorheatingstore.com/media/wysiwyg/downloads/insulation-boards-manual.pdf

https://www.tilefixdirect.com/pdf/marmox-multiboard-floors-adhesive.pdf

Having written this up I should probably cancel my bathroom tile orders!

You could use Vinyl tiles, or Flotex tiles.

Both are available in a large range of patterns and suitable for all rooms, and will help with a warm floor feeling. Flotex is also perhaps better for kids to play on. And they clean under the tap.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Ian, that's pretty much what we have in our bathrooms, 6mm cheap tile backer board (which is insulated).

We got the mats from ebay, (lowest w/m2 we could find) latex and then and tiled on top - was pretty much 25mm from subfloor to top - I know this as the tiles are flush with the 25mm shower tray in one room.

Have you looked at microscreed? gives the polished concrete floor look but is only 2-3mm thick. 

10 hours ago, PeterW said:

22mm tray plus 3mm adhesive isn't unusual - and ya get 25mm...

This is the one we used - Lusso Stone 25mm, 1700x800 I think but they do then in all different dimensions.

https://www.lussostone.com/showers-c6/shower-trays-c13/modern-low-profile-polished-stone-resin-rectangle-shower-tray-all-sizes-p851

We created a walk in style shower with glass along the long edge and entry on the narrow side.

I sealed the shower screen glass direct to the tray itself, to do this we cut the side alu profile 2mm proud and sat the glass on spacers when fitting, sealed up to each spacer and when the SikaFlex had gone off, removed the spacers and filled the gaps.

Used Nick's bombproof instructions for seating the shower tray also.

Used an 8mm alu profile on the vertical side sikaflexed to the wall and a steel bar to opposite wall for stability and then just grouted the tiles as normal - its not a wet room but looks like one.

• Like 1

Thanks, completely by accident too as the inclusion of electric UFH was a last minute (i.e. we had already tacked pb everywhere) decision but that generated the increased levels.

Our floor guy did need to make a small ramp of latex outside the bathroom so that the oak floor in the hall was flush with the tile, it's very subtle and you'd never notice.

I'll take it as a win.