Which render on house

Im trying to pick a render which will help the application look less like a town house in the countryside my designer has come up with two options, a full sandstone option and a white render/stone option he recons with full sandstone it wont work out much dearer as its one trade as opposed to 2, what do people think of them looks wise and cost, thanks!

20220501_085922.jpg

20220501_085901.jpg

I would say go with what matches the local vernacular.  Remind us where you are?

Up here it would be the white render, but whatever you do that is not going to be mistaken for a town house.

I run a render company and WE can’t make up our minds 

We went for sharp lines on our first But my wife wants a K roughcast 

It’s probably worth doing a couple of different test panels Then at least you can decide what you don’t like 

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

I would say go with what matches the local vernacular.  Remind us where you are?

Up here it would be the white render, but whatever you do that is not going to be mistaken for a town house.

im in central Scotland, rural area, the house is quite visible from the main road which was an issue in the previous application which was 2 storey and all white render, with lowering ridge height in this design and some stone cladding i was hoping to reduce the visual impact? 

2 hours ago, CharlieKLP said:

I quite like the mix, but those windows (especially on the side) are all over the place. In the first one that had some rationality to them, did the planners ask you to make the windows more random like a barn?

no that was just the stock design but my designer has altered it in the first one to simplify the design, this could easily be done on the mix one

thanks

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

no that was just the stock design but my designer has altered it in the first one to simplify the design, this could easily be done on the mix one

thanks

They have done a really nice job!
I do like the first one, full stone could be nice depending on what stone you are going to use. Did you have a Google for one yet?

Go with what the planners will dislike the most. E.g. if the issue with precious application was render, include render in your plan. This means if you change your mind and want more stone, wil be less of an issue getting it passed as a non material change. Our architech included porches, overhangs, railings, balconies, garage etc that we are not likely to build... But as he says it gives us the option.

• Like 1

When figuring this out for our house I looked no further than some old farm buildings. 

Sand cement sponged finish. It's lasted 70 years with zero maintenance or paint on a cow stall grandad built.  No cracks and still as level as the day it was applied. 

Also materials are hella cheap. €2k buys a tremendous amount of plastering sand, cement and lime.  Some planting near the house softens up the look nicely thereafter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iceverge said:

When figuring this out for our house I looked no further than some old farm buildings. 

Sand cement sponged finish. It's lasted 70 years with zero maintenance or paint on a cow stall grandad built.  No cracks and still as level as the day it was applied. 

Also materials are hella cheap. €2k buys a tremendous amount of plastering sand, cement and lime.  Some planting near the house softens up the look nicely thereafter. 

interesting, what do you think of cladding a whole house in sandstone as proposed? will it make the house look smaller?

On 02/05/2022 at 13:12, Amateur bob said:

interesting, what do you think of cladding a whole house in sandstone as proposed? will it make the house look smaller?

depends, the sandstone, is it going to be stone or a manufactured one, dressed or random or a mix? the render, smooth or roughcast?

17 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

depends, the sandstone, is it going to be stone or a manufactured one, dressed or random or a mix? the render, smooth or roughcast?

im not sure yet thats something to think about, what are your suggestions?

if all sandstone i would be looking at a mix of dressed and random, i feel all random is too much. roughcast especially is a traditional look if self coloured saves painting! at the end of the day it's your property and choice.

On 06/05/2022 at 18:31, Simplysimon said:

if all sandstone i would be looking at a mix of dressed and random, i feel all random is too much. roughcast especially is a traditional look if self coloured saves painting! at the end of the day it's your property and choice.

Im on a farm and have plenty old sandstone dykes some of which have been removed to widen gateways so i have plenty spare sandstone on site, would it be possible for me to get a professional to cut these to size and apply to house or would thisbe an expensive route?

Areas of your elevations are reasonably modest - I'd go with full sandstone. Not sure how your farm stone would clean up though.  I was buying cropped walling stone from Purbeck which comes in random sizes but all fairly close to 120mm deep. Was £150/ton delivered the year before last and does about 4m2 per ton. Lay with a ginger sand and hideously expensive white cement or if you have a very strong orange sand you can get by with OPC (still looks buff coloured).

image.thumb.jpeg.91d2fe0ce9677c6c607cab250226a7d2.jpeg

• Like 1

In central Scotland a mix of render and sandstone would look much more normal although in a rural area the more rustic look might fit in. 

The all stone pictures probably don't do it justice so I am maybe biased by that.

I would be very surprised if stone was cheaper. Best thing to do is get some quotes and see rather than speculate. You will need some stone anyway.

Ultimately it is probably a few thousand pounds either way as there is not that much wall. So I would also consider what you prefer and whether the planners are happy with any render or not.

3 hours ago, AliG said:

In central Scotland a mix of render and sandstone would look much more normal although in a rural area the more rustic look might fit in. 

The all stone pictures probably don't do it justice so I am maybe biased by that.

I would be very surprised if stone was cheaper. Best thing to do is get some quotes and see rather than speculate. You will need some stone anyway.

Ultimately it is probably a few thousand pounds either way as there is not that much wall. So I would also consider what you prefer and whether the planners are happy with any render or not.

thanks i think for the sake of a few thousand sandstone might be the way togo

19 hours ago, Radian said:

Areas of your elevations are reasonably modest - I'd go with full sandstone. Not sure how your farm stone would clean up though.  I was buying cropped walling stone from Purbeck which comes in random sizes but all fairly close to 120mm deep. Was £150/ton delivered the year before last and does about 4m2 per ton. Lay with a ginger sand and hideously expensive white cement or if you have a very strong orange sand you can get by with OPC (still looks buff coloured).

image.thumb.jpeg.91d2fe0ce9677c6c607cab250226a7d2.jpeg

thanks did it save you on blockwork over the timber frame having the sandstone? do you have any pics of it completed/

37 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

thanks did it save you on blockwork over the timber frame having the sandstone? do you have any pics of it completed/

The photo is WIP on a recent extension to our garage. This was done with blockwork. Most of the stone went into landscaping retaining walls to match the building. I posted it as it was the only photo I had showing the pile of cropped walling stone as delivered.

• Like 1