External wall insulation

Carrerahill

Hi guys, I am looking for a bit of advice on a external wall insulation system and where I can buy it.

I am thinking of insulating part of my house and a recent extension (within past 10 years I think) which seems to have shocking insulation, part of the house I would just want to render over and possibly the extension would end up with Marley weatherboard or something on the external.

I have seen this stuff going on, it looks very easy to install yet everywhere I look they want to sell and install the product.

So, can anyone advise on a system and where I can get hold of it.

Thanks

There is a lot of conversation on the Green Building Forum about this - umpteen huge threads to read.

Can be really excellent, but can be easy to get the detail wrong.

There are products and kits around to do your own for say £30-50 per sq,, or services for £70-120 per sqm.

It needs careful attention to all aspects - eg it locks in your double glazing so do that first - and you need to really sort your ventilation out. My local Council for example is now quite pernickety about EWI, because their own grant scheme has caused lots of condensation problems.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Have you any idea what sort of external insulation?

One option is wood fibre board like I have used that you can buy from Ecomerchant (though in the end with a lot of grief I got it cheaper via a local builder) http://www.ecomerchant.co.uk/exterior/insulation/ecomerchant-protect-ewi/steico-protect.html

Ignore what it says there, you can get it up to 160mm thick in one board, and other makes are available, e.g I used Pavatex.

• Like 1