Garden building in Conservation Area

Jilly

Hi folks, we need a home office/studio, but have no PD rights as we are in a Conservation Area. I've been researching how to build something which would be likely to be acceptable to the planners and affordable and have come up with the idea of glazing an oak frosted frame kit garage (or asking my builder to make one). They favour black weatherboard here). If we are < 3 x 5m (15m2) we are exempt for building regs, is that correct, even with this type of structure? 

We would insulate and line.

We are on clay, would we get away with a shed type slab foundation (BC always want piles nowadays round here)? Next door have just put a hedge in. 

A company round here does double glazed units for quite a reasonable price, so the doors would be the biggest expense.

Anything I've missed? I'll attach a picture of an Ebay post that got me thinking.

Edited by Jilly

I've been round the houses with mobile  options. I've already got an old mobile 2 bay field shelter, which looks like a poor version of the above, plus a caravan (stuffed to the gills),so I'm researching doing it properly. 

If you can't have a proper garden building I would be inclined to site a tatty old static caravan there, and then apply for planning permission to replace the tatty old static caravan with a nice proper garden building of the same size.

• Haha 1