Just bought a plot... Now panicking!

DevonKim

Good evening all, 

I have just had an offer accepted on a plot in Devon, and I'm somewhat nervous about what I may have let myself in for... 

Its a serviced plot (they seem to be becoming more common down here), and I can have up to 150m2 footprint. The plot has two root protection zones and some ecology planning conditions, but the materials palette seems pretty wide ranging.  

I've done extensions before, but not a full build, so I'm hoping I'll get a bit of moral support on here over the next few weeks as I think about my design and chat to the planners. 

Kim

• Like 1

Welcome.  if you were to do a to do list it could easily run into hundreds of things and potentially overwhelm you.  Just deal with the next few things,  get them done them move onto the next.   See it as running 1 mile, 26 times as opposed to a 26 mile run.   At this stage you’re looking at the design and planning which I personally enjoyed.

When you have you designs put together post them here plenty of self builders who’ll give you some opinions and thoughts based on our own experiences, and mistakes.  Almost every challenge you’ll face someone here should be able to help.  

good luck & congratulations on your plot purchase

• Like 1

That’s awesome well done, take a deep breath!

150 is a good size, and the serviced connections sounds like a winner.

There are a lot of other free resources for self builders too, so check out the free presentations Link some companies do and the Self Build Centre in Swindon, and the occasional exhibition. 

If I was in your position, the next step would be budget. You will need a topo survey.

Then fill in your brief here is a link to a free one (the link is in the grey box half way down the page) https://www.potton.co.uk/self-build-resources/designing-your-home/creating-a-design-brief 

and speak to a planning consultant and designer then. They will direct you, there’s no need to do it yourself unless you’re an architectural designer.

Edited by CharlieKLP
  • Thanks 1

Thank you folks! 

I'm still reeling a bit, as it is all rather unexpected - things just suddenly fell into place. 

Many thanks for the resources & links, and I'll be on here asking daft questions soon

🙂

8 hours ago, CharlieKLP said:

Then fill in your brief here is a link to a free one (the link is in the grey box half way down the page) https://www.potton.co.uk/self-build-resources/designing-your-home/creating-a-design-brief

Where was this when we were crafting our design brief a year ago?! Really helpful and bookmarked for future use - thank you for sharing :)

As to the original poster, once the excitement of having secured the plot wears off.... it's all downhill from there 🤔

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Where was this when we were crafting our design brief a year ago?! Really helpful and bookmarked for future use - thank you for sharing :)

As to the original poster, once the excitement of having secured the plot wears off.... it's all downhill from there 🤔

I’m glad you like it! The more people who use it the better!!!

I have been having a good read through some of the threads on here, and there is some really useful stuff.  

I think that I can do my own topo survey, it won't be too complex, as it is a flat site (rare in Devon), so the next major step looks like an early discussion with the planners to see what their expectations are for ridge heights, style etc.  These have been marketed as self build plots, so there is some expectation that we will be building something a bit different.  

Outline budget is around 2.5k /m2, and I am looking at some of the faster build methods like timber frame.  

I can project manage it, but would probably prefer not too.  

Next step, filling in all the details on that design brief 🙂 

@joe90 will tell you how to win at appeal, he had loads of trouble with planning.

Timber frame is initially fast. Then you can finish at your leisure.

Consider getting loads of PV on the roof at this stage, that will, to a certain extend, set the orientation and the roof angle, and banish things like parapets, chimneys and anything that caused shading.

• Like 2

Thanks @SteamyTea, I was looking at solar tiles, but it doesn't look as though there is any advantage over a couple of standard inset solar panels, so I'll be putting on the maximum number of those that I can fit! 

I like the idea of fast, as there is a planning condition that says it has to be "substantially complete" within 2 years of exchange of contracts, and that feels like a really short time to get everything sorted if I run into any problems.  

I'd really like to be able to do without a gas connection, and just make do with electric, with a Tesla Powerwall or similar, but I need to do my research on that to see whether it would be possible.  

@joe90 I'm down near Exeter.  Are you mid-build, or built?  

Edited by DevonKim

I am finished (thank goodness) but I have to say I really enjoyed the journey, being retired helped a lot I am sure as did having a brilliant builder. Our only problem was with planners who I took to the Secretary of State and appealed and won hands down 👍, never met such a bunch of time wasters !!!!. I am all electric (with bottled gas Cus er indoors wanted a gas hob 🤷‍♂️.)

welcome and what an exciting journey you're about to embark on! honestly just spend the next couple of weeks reading as much of this site as possible. most of it won't stick but as you progress you'll remember a comment that someone said in some thread and you'll use the search function to try and find it again. some sensible people bookmark stuff but I'm slack and always forget! Also read through the blogs on here as a lot of them document the journey from start to finish and will give you a good idea of what you're in for.

if you can project manage a timber frame build then you'll save a small fortune and timber frame seems to lend itself to allowing self-builders to PM the build as  you can hire groundworkers to do the foundations, the TF company will get your superstructure built, the roofer will put on the roof, the window company will make you watertight and then you can employ the subbies to finish the rest off. by project managing yourself you're saving the cost of a main contractor and them doing the organising and subcontracting and them taking their slice of each bit of pie.

it's time consuming but definitely can be done! I'm doing while trying to hold down a full time job and also do a lot of the internal works myself. it doesn't leave a lot of time for other things but I know it'll be worth it in the end as I will be saving a lot of money plus getting great pleasure in doing work myself.

best of luck and we look forward to reading about your journey should you choose to share it with us. 

1 hour ago, DevonKim said:

I think that I can do my own topo survey

You may find that the seller has already had one carried out.  Really handy for setting out, ridge heights, context elevations etc. and will be supplied in CAD format.  They don't just focus on topography but will include trees, boundary features, inspection chambers and neighbouring structures.

• Thanks 1