Planning application.. Drains and overlooking

RobRS2

My planning application is due on the 28th, So 3 days time. I have had a site visit which i answered all the questions that they were unsure about for the application and the person own attended also took photos so they could understand what was where.

Today i got an Email with more questions. The neighbours behind our property are not happy about us installing a new septic tank (Water treatment tank), one is currently installed to the fron of the property by not in compliance. This has now got the planing officer asking why we cant be connected to the mains sewer.

The main reason for that is the house is below the sewer pipe level by a few meters and it would need to cross a main road and neighbouring properties. So without having to go through the expence of applying to be connected only to be told its not possible, how do i answer the planner?

Next i have been asked to draw out the distances to the neighbouring properties with respect to overl looking with the new extension that is planned. I find this odd as our property is 10 to 12 meters lower down than the neighbouring houses. So can they refuse our extension on the grounds that it will be overlooked?? I could understand if it was the other way around. It seems strange as the council planners have allowed several of these houses to add extansions onto their houses which means they overlook our property worse, is so bad every room in the rear of the house is infull view to all the houses.

Next how do i deal with Bats. I think one of the neighbouring house that are not keen on the cepitc tank have made some claim about there being bats in a small out building that it to be knocked down for the extension.

This building has glass roof tiles and is during the day, is light inside. Do i now need to have a bat survey, this seems pointless but what can i do??

Getting sick of the process now.

Rob 

1 hour ago, RobRS2 said:

The main reason for that is the house is below the sewer pipe level by a few meters and it would need to cross a main road and neighbouring properties. So without having to go through the expence of applying to be connected only to be told its not possible, how do i answer the planner?

I would tell him its not feasible because the only route is over land you don't have control over/permission to cross. 

1 hour ago, RobRS2 said:

Next i have been asked to draw out the distances to the neighbouring properties with respect to overl looking with the new extension that is planned. I find this odd as our property is 10 to 12 meters lower down than the neighbouring houses.

I would draw an enlarged site plan showing the neighbours houses with distances marked.

I would also provide a scale cross section showing how the ground level slopes. Show the nearest wall of their house, the fence and your proposed extension. Mark it up in big letters "Nearest Neighour" and "Proposed Extension" so the planners can't get them the wrong way around and think you will overlook them.

I'm afraid that asking for more information at the last min is also their way of delaying processing the application. They can now argue you haven't yet provided all the info they need.

14 hours ago, RobRS2 said:

Getting sick of the process now.

Join the club.

Bats.

Anyone can make any claim they like. And Planners know that. If there's no evidence or likelihood of bats being present, then show them  photos of the inside of the building.  You could also look up whether any other local planning applications required an ecology survey. If surveys have been required locally, then you're likely to be subjected to the same process.

This is what happens locally: I'm not condoning it, but this the reality round here. I know because I've seen it happen.

A year or so before some local farmers make applications to the planning department, they deliberately destroy any wild life - pig slurry in the pond where newts are , bat roosts destroyed, badger setts dug out, rookeries shot out, foxes hounded to death. Not all farmers do it, but some do. Talking to them about it, their argument is that the bats'll be back, as will the newts and badger. They're likely right....

Submitting a Planning Application can be a nasty process. I've come to think of it as a useful filter: you find out what people are really like. Those you thought at least friendly and civil can show themselves to be harridans and foul-mouthed, brain-dead eejits . Neighbours once thought neighbourly , aren't. Planners have seen it all. 

Your biggest defence is - evidence, and calm analysis based on thorough research of similar recent applications. Know both why - and why you shouldn't - be given permission based on detailed knowledge of what has happened locally.

That way you are less of a target for random silly, evidence-free comment. It's a toughening up process. Stick with it.

• 1 month later...

Bat survey has been done and guess what..... The Bat man(lol) said there is no way a bay would roost in the roof the planning officer wanted checking due to the construction. Pan tile roof, no felt open design. 

I also go them to check the building next to it so there would be no further comeback. This is an asbestos roof which i have listed to be changed to a fiberglass or steel sheet. This also, you guessed it has no conditions for roosting.

Its funny to think that the same planning office has let developers rip out about 3 to 4 miles of hedging and trees on a nearby building development with no constraints.

Currently 4 months past decision date and counting 

Our process took a year, largely due to drip feeding of consultations. I rebuked a fair few myself with photos and reports. 

It sounds your planning officer never made a site visit as they would have been able to sort out the majority of the above themselves.