Recomended suppliers

Hi All,

I've had 3 quotes from some well known companies for my MVHR system, but since we started looking at it two years ago one of the quotes has jumped 56% and has taken it beyond our budget.

So I can make sure I'm getting a good coverage of quotes (and knowledge/experience), can people recommend any companies they are happy with, this would be for design and supply as I would fit myself, but the design really need thinking about. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention the companies I have spoken too already, so wont.   Feel free to PM/Message me if you would like to not post it publicly.  

One issue I'm having is where the inlet/outlet pipes go and what kind of sizes we are looking at. We live in a Terrace with 80cm thick stone wall so some of the walls are not really an option!

Thanks
Paul

2 hours ago, hotnuts21 said:

quotes has jumped 56% and has taken it beyond our budget.

What do you hope to get from an MVHR? Are you taking steps to find and block all existing air leaks in the existing structure, and to build the new extension with measures to ensure a much higher air tightness than building regs allows.

If you are not likely to achieve an infiltration rate of better than 5m³/m².h @50Pa then a whole house MVHR system will not bring any benefits, and will in fact increase the property's energy losses.

Building Regs (in England) do not require mechanical ventilation unless you have a better than 3m³/m².h @50Pa infiltration rate.

If you are not planning to significantly improve the property's air tightness, you could save the MVHR budget and focus on single room extractors (with heat recovery if you want) on those rooms that need it and adjustable trickle vents in windows.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IanR said:

If you are not planning to significantly improve the property's air tightness, you could save the MVHR budget and focus on single room extractors (with heat recovery if you want) on those rooms that need it and adjustable trickle vents in windows.

Its a good point and one I think I have been wrestling with for a while including some loss of sleep nights. 

The extension will defo be airtight when its finished, but the rest of the house is a 1908 terrace with 8 fireplaces so it has challenges, however none of the windows have trickle vents. I have plans for most of the chimneys and we are planning to do the house up over the next 4-5 years so by the end of it, it will be pretty much airtight, I think what I have been looking for is a system that I can install now, but 'turn up' in the future as the rest of the house gets added. I could install the ductwork to 95% of the house now without any issues.  But as im currently building two warm flat roofs, It makes sense to put the inlet/outlet in now too.  I live by the sea so I always wonder how bad the air quality actually is here, but I like the idea of cool air in the summer too. 

As the extension is a kitchen, bathroom and Utility I am wondering if maybe I just put in a smallish single/two room system and spend the rest of the budget on a decent thermal store hot water tank as we now have solar and battery so switching to electric water might make more sense too.  

I think I just have more questions haha!!