Vibrating concrete

Vijay

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

There is a BIG difference between formwork and ICF...!! Formwork is either temporary wooden or steel shuttering designed to retain the concrete mass - ICF is just an outer insulation shell and normally needs additional bracing to retain the pour. I've never seen a manufacturer of ICF recommend a poker used on their product and most actively discourage as a poker touching the side of ICF will most likely blow a hole in it.

If you have pump grade concrete it usually includes various chemicals to make it flow - air in pump grade is highly unlikely as its much more fluid than normal concrete. The issue is that because of this if you vibrate it too much then it will separate the aggregate and it will become weaker.

Makes sense Peter and will take on board everything you've said. If I do have to use it for any reason, I'll remember that little is more ;)

We done 2 pours with nudara icf and used a poker both times (not sure if nudara recommend a poker) 1st time was a big 110v poker from the local tool hire, it was to big and you would be easy to damage/blow out the icf if you wasn't watching what you was doing. Second time we bought two used belle mega vib (with smallest head available) from  flee bay. It done the trick is was surprising how much the concrete level dropped (air pockets coming out) after using the poker . 

I have attached  a picture of a pocket in the icf to show the concrete consistency for a I beam which was approx 1m concrete drop from the top of icf.

I also had a friend who used amvic icf who had to open up a lot of the icf for various fixings (cantilever stairs etc) who also used a poker and everything was perfect. I also was on the quad lock installer course and they also said use a poker. 

20170407_171815.jpg

To say we're all exhausted is an understatement but it's done! :)  Was a half 4.30 get up and finally sat down for something to eat (back at home) at around 9 last night.

Ended up using 93.5m3 of concrete which was exactly 9 lorries. Drivers were friendly and brilliant but the pump guy was the most miserable unhelpful bloke I could have - and I'll be speaking to the concrete company about him this morning. I don't think they should have put him on my job if he wasn't a "team player", was so obvious he just cared about getting the concrete out of his pump - even asking the drivers to add water to speed things up. He ended up just dumping the crap out of his pump without asking where or for the bag we had, which left a horrible mess over the access road and has probably upset my neighbour (which we already don't get on).

Levelling was quite a headache as with so many corners in the footings, things would slump a little. Then when there was too much water, you would have things level and then after half an hour, where it was level was no water which was evaporating. We did use a small vibrating poker but was far from mad with it, probably a 2 or 3 out of 10 in terms of how vigorous.

Had one mate doing the rebars (400mm at the top) which saved us a big job at the end, as he was constantly behind us waiting for the concrete to set enough for them to stand up. 

Weather held off until the very end where we were packing up in the rain, but a massive relief to drive away with it all done

20170518_172833.jpg

20170518_172929.jpg

20170518_172951.jpg

20170518_173024.jpg

20170518_173429.jpg

20170518_173431.jpg

20170518_172835.jpg

20170518_172951.jpg

Edited by Vijay
  • Like 2

Brilliant - well done! Extra water on mix is not really a problem here but watch like a hawk for the walls - pump guys are bloody terrible for secretly telling the mixer to add water. It's your mix,  not the pump guys.  

I'm in London at moment and was thinking of you in the afternoon when the heavens opened here! 

Bet you feel accomplished! 

39 minutes ago, Vijay said:

He ended up just dumping the crap out of his pump without asking where or for the bag we had, which left a horrible mess over the access road and has probably upset my neighbour (which we already don't get on).

Send them a photo and a bill for sorting it. Or just don't pay their invoice .....

If you have a clean out location sorted and they don't use it then it's their problem to resolve not yours .!

PS glad the pour went well..!

3 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

Brilliant - well done! Extra water on mix is not really a problem here but watch like a hawk for the walls - pump guys are bloody terrible for secretly telling the mixer to add water. It's your mix,  not the pump guys.  

I'm in London at moment and was thinking of you in the afternoon when the heavens opened here! 

Bet you feel accomplished! 

You'd think if it was the same company, they would understand the mix was ordered by the customer and a pump guy should have the right to mess with that order >:(  I've already told them that IF I use them for the ICF, I would turn away anything that isn't perfect and what I ordered.

I'm too tired to feel anything lol

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Send them a photo and a bill for sorting it. Or just don't pay their invoice .....

If you have a clean out location sorted and they don't use it then it's their problem to resolve not yours .!

PS glad the pour went well..!

Didn't even think of taking a photo of the mess they left, my mate was on the digger cleaning it up as we all just wanted to get home ;)

Completely agree with you, they have no right to just dump the mess where they feel like it and the more I think about it, the more it annoys me.

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

I would have phoned his boss as soon as I realised he was a dick and let him know you don't take any shite. They always pull their horns in when you show some teeth.

The worrying thing is, after speaking to them this morning, he is their best guy!! :o I told them he was the part that let down their service and I would never want him back on site!

4 hours ago, Vijay said:

To say we're all exhausted is an understatement but it's done!

Well done. 

What are the excavated but not filled (boxed out with ply) parts of the trench about?

I poured 2 mixed loads of concrete yesterday...

Edited by Carrerahill

40 minutes ago, Vijay said:

They are where I had to move a few bits and rather than just fill with concrete that costs me, I shuttered them, then will remove the ply and back fill ;)

I figured it was a concrete saving initiative but I figured I would ask in case there was some special reason - access to your fallout shelter or something.

On 2017-5-19 at 20:46, Russell griffiths said:

Well done that is a massive job for someone not in the trade. 

Well done with that. Thats just massive!

Must have a look some time when im going up to Northampton.

Cheers Roger. You're more than welcome anytime mate :)

Went up there today, it's drying out nicely. Levels aren't spot on but if I'm being honest, I never thought it would be over 30m. It's gonna take a bit of work getting the first course of ICF spot on.

20170522_105914.jpg

20170522_105853.jpg

20170522_105829.jpg

20170522_110001.jpg