Should pitched roof leading be moulded around the tile shape?

I’ve had a new pitched roof added to the side of the house and noticed that the leading wasn’t moulded to the shape of the tile. The roofer said this is a cosmetic thing and it doesn’t make any functional difference. I’m not fussed if its just cosmetic as no one will ever see the roof unless you climb up there. But wanted to check that it’s correct that there’s no functional difference. Is the point here that the roof is pitching downwards so water will never travel up into that gap?

998DEFAA-FDC2-49E1-B86B-54267FA93B75.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

That lead is very poor, looks like he formed it on the roof instead of pre forming on a bench and passing up and finishing on the roof. 

I would certainly want a bit more effort put into that. 

Thanks, I have asked for them to come back to address it.

12 minutes ago, markc said:

If the lead is cosmetic then what is stopping water going between the wall and tiles?

plus the pitch is quite low so water is likely to be blown uphill and under the lead.

Sorry, I meant the roofer had said moulding the lead around the tile is a cosmetic thing rather than the whole lead material being used is cosmetic.

If its a cold roof (insulation between/below rafters) the top edge should be ventilated. Is that why they left gaps under the lead? Not the best/correct solution.

Google Abutment ventilation or roof ti wall ventilation.

image.thumb.png.169d58863c9abfd81d85eb630893df11.png

Example ventilation system..

https://www.wienerberger.co.uk/products/roof/systems-and-accessories/top-abutment-ventilation.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Temp said:

If its a cold roof (insulation between/below rafters) the top edge should be ventilated. Is that why they left gaps under the lead? Not the best/correct solution.

Google Abutment ventilation or roof ti wall ventilation.

image.thumb.png.169d58863c9abfd81d85eb630893df11.png

Example ventilation system..

https://www.wienerberger.co.uk/products/roof/systems-and-accessories/top-abutment-ventilation.html

Thanks for the image. For our build, the internal ceiling is sloped to match the pitched roof angle and we have three Velux windows installed. The red squiggly line on your diagram doesn’t exist for our structure.

869BE7AD-BEC8-4A9B-ADF2-C00906D0E642.jpeg