Sealing Shower Enclosure

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if somebody can provide some steerage here... having recently had a shower enclosure re-tiled and the Showerlux enclosure refitted, I now know the way the enclosure is sealed is wrong. In part that is down to me as I did ask for all edges to be sealed but wasn't told this was a bad idea. It's only now I realise that very little only the inside of the enclosure should be sealed.

The wall profiles had a silicon seal behind them top to bottom as well as being screwed (interestingly prior to being re-tiled these were just screwed). I think this is correct per what I've been reading.

Now what I think should happen is all the silicone be removed from the inside of the cubicle (let's start fresh) and then put a bead in the corner and along where the shower base meets the tiled walls. Then on each of the wall profiles run a vertical bead up both inside and outside. The question is whether this should on the inside include the point where the wall compensator meets the frame (see pictures below). I think it makes sense to. I think providing I leave the the rest clear of silicone on the inside, any small amount that may get inside can run back into the tray. How much of the base of the wall profile / compensator should I seal (i'm sure some will say none). Interestingly I've read some posts where folks say seal the lot but then I can see how that may lead to problems.

I would then of course seal along the cubicle on the outside only.

Thanks in advance...

IMG_7338.jpg

IMG_7339.jpg

IMG_7341.jpg

IMG_7342.jpg

I think I would just remove any untidy looking bits (around the base of the door opening only?) and replace that. Leave everything else. See if anything leaks and address that.

It can be hard to remove it without scratching chromed plastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Temp said:

I think I would just remove any untidy looking bits (around the base of the door opening only?) and replace that. Leave everything else. See if anything leaks and address that.

Thanks... I plan to actually get a local chap in that just does silicone sealing as I'm sure he will make a decent job of it.

The concern I have with just clearing the bits from under the door opening is what happens with any other water that may get trapped.

Screw fix sell silicone remover, applied over existing, softens it and makes it easier to remove.

they also sell curved tools for smoothing the silicone can’t remember but have a look in the tiling section.

just make sure you have plenty baby wipes to clean up!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/04/2022 at 14:16, Temp said:

I was advised the same and on another shower where the wall profile are chromed some of the silicone has holes in etc. For that shower somebody else suggested I simply apply a thicker bead over the old instead of cutting it out to avoid scratching. I always thought this was a bad idea though.