Site Investigation Report

matthyde83

I'm looking over the much delayed plan check report from AIS (see other thread about how bad they are!).  One outstanding point is C1 : Site Preparation and resistance to contaminants where they are asking for a site investigation report.  Given we're well underway does anyone know what I need to do to fulfil this requirement?  Do I really need to pay to get someone in to do this?  We've knocked down a bungalow and are building on the site...

28 minutes ago, matthyde83 said:

I'm looking over the much delayed plan check report from AIS (see other thread about how bad they are!).  One outstanding point is C1 : Site Preparation and resistance to contaminants where they are asking for a site investigation report.  Given we're well underway does anyone know what I need to do to fulfil this requirement?  Do I really need to pay to get someone in to do this?  We've knocked down a bungalow and are building on the site...

Any chance of a bit more info.. just curious.

If you want a bit of input.. often free professional advice then what about the check report from AIS so we can see exactly what their requirements are. Make it easy for BH members to see your dilemma and you may avoid having to get the cheque book out.

There is usually a reason for asking about potential contamination.

For example nearby landfill, mucky factories, the history of the site or area.

Very often it needs a simple answer such as it has had a house on this plot for 100 years.

ie it wasn't previously a garage/gasworks/slaughterhouse/chemical works.

do you know the history of the site? what is nearby?

• Like 1

Just now, saveasteading said:

Very often it needs a simple answer such as it has had a house on this plot for 100 years.

So I understand it was originally the garden of house next door then the bungalow was built 50’s/60’s.  So been there for a good while.  Nothing in planning to indicate, no conditions etc. Just a point on the plan check report from building inspector…

3 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Also nothing nearby that I can think of as an issue.  All housing…

If you don't get your lay persons explanation accepted then a desk top study should do the trick unless you are next to a landfill etc as @saveasteading circa 3 300 - 400 quid maybe topsbut most BCO's already know if there is a potential soil contamination risk.

You easiest way is just to make a phone call and ask what you need to do to satisfy this item... ask for help and it is often given.. get stroppy and it is less forthcoming.

4 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

If you don't get your lay persons explanation accepted then a desk top study should do the trick unless you are next to a landfill etc as @saveasteading circa 3 300 - 400 quid maybe topsbut most BCO's already know if there is a potential soil contamination risk.

You easiest way is just to make a phone call and ask what you need to do to satisfy this item... ask for help and it is often given.. get stroppy and it is less forthcoming.

Ok great, thank you.  I will give it a go.  They are absolutely impossible to get hold of but I can try!  I’m trying to get these cleared now because it’s going to take a number of months I feel.  I really need to talk to them about a few of the points, like the last one for instance.  I’m pretty sure the plans submitted demonstrate everything needed so I’m unsure what they need. 

7 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

Plus 1

You can’t get round a BC request 

a simple desktop study will do the trick He just wants that bit of paper to cover his bum 

Our previous build was part of a farm and had a full site and contamination investigation 8 years previous and laid to lawn since 

Three years out of date 

We coughed up another 500 quid 

Manx he said Fine 😞

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nod said:

Plus 1

You can’t get round a BC request 

a simple desktop study will do the trick He just wants that bit of paper to cover his bum 

Our previous build was part of a farm and had a full site and contamination investigation 8 years previous and laid to lawn since 

Three years out of date 

We coughed up another 500 quid 

Manx he said Fine 😞

Let's hope so.  Approved Consultants haven't been great so far so I'm hoping they're not going to be awkward!

On our build, we had to knock down an old chicken shed. It had been repurposed to a workshop, where, occasionally  an old codger used to clean out his paint brushes by shaking the contents of the brush onto the ground. He'd done that for years - many years.

The ground report survey found some lead - from the paint - one part per million over the actionable threshold, at the very spot he used to clean his brushes.  

Cue gnashing of teeth, wailing and booing at the added expense. I was all for digging out round the spot, and re-test.

Until the architect pointed out that the spot in question was going to be covered with 1.5 meters of MoT1.

Can you cover up the problem area with  a deepish layer of earth?

26 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

On our build, we had to knock down an old chicken shed. It had been repurposed to a workshop, where, occasionally  an old codger used to clean out his paint brushes by shaking the contents of the brush onto the ground. He'd done that for years - many years.

The ground report survey found some lead - from the paint - one part per million over the actionable threshold, at the very spot he used to clean his brushes.  

Cue gnashing of teeth, wailing and booing at the added expense. I was all for digging out round the spot, and re-test.

Until the architect pointed out that the spot in question was going to be covered with 1.5 meters of MoT1.

Can you cover up the problem area with  a deepish layer of earth?

🙈🙈🙈 fun and games isn't it!

There isn't a problem area that I'm aware of.  Merely a tick box on the form that needs ticking!

14 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

just to make a phone call and ask what you need to do to satisfy this item... ask for help and it is often given.

The BCO will tell you if there are any specific concerns, in which case you must address them.

If it is  a standard question the 'always a bungalow' should suffice. Anyway you would tell them that in the phone call and find out what was required, if anything.

BCO needs closure in the file.