The end of the biomass

Well 3+ years after our nightmare began it has finally ended! 
two weeks ago the biomass boiler finally died, we are still awaiting the enforcement of the arbitrators award which is now in the hands of a solicitor but when it decided to give up the ghost a fortnight ago we had no option other than to remove it as it’s still too cold here to do without heating. Finding a heating engineer who was willing and able to install the oil boiler and mega flow tank was another hurdle altogether but we finally found a company (after many who came out to look and I presume were lost when they saw the thermal store and realised they’d have to remove it) who came out over two days and did all the work for what I consider to be a very reasonable price.

they actually worked until 7.30pm last night to finish the job and make sure the ufh, radiators and hot water were all working as they should.

what a difference from the original installer who installed the biomass at great cost but wasn’t interested at all in how everything would link up and work as it should.

after a fortnight of no heat preceded by 3 years of having to be totally ocd about the heating (or lack of it) it was wonderful to get up this morning to a warm house, enough hot water for a really decent shower and peace of mind with a 10 year warranty from this company.

Definitely not as eco friendly but when HVO becomes freely available at a decent price the boiler only needs a change of jets to run on it 🤗

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, recoveringbuilder said:

when HVO becomes freely available at a decent price the boiler only needs a change of jets to run on it

So you have saved the price of new jets being installed already.

When I looked at biomass about 15 years ago, I was not impressed with the technology, security of supply, price, or the general knowledge surrounding them.

We were of the opinion that we’d had a bad installation, which we did and Hetas can attain to that, we also were of the opinion that the boiler was undersized which had apparently been proved that it wasn’t,  although when calculations are only done when the registering body demands them and they just happen to come in at the exact figure required it sounds suss to me but I have spoken to various people in the course of my 3 year nightmare who also feel they were sold a pig in a poke and that includes people who have totally different biomass systems than we had, the technology is definitely not there yet and I for one would never consider having it again