Sewage treatment plant

Mike_scotland

Yes, should use minimal bleach with a treatment plant as it kills all the bugs, I use diluted bleach surface cleaners but no neat bleach down the loo etc. (This advise given me by treatment plant suppliers).

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yes, should use minimal bleach with a treatment plant as it kills all the bugs, I use diluted bleach surface cleaners but no neat bleach down the loo etc. (This advise given me by treatment plant suppliers).

Do you use any cleaners for work tops etc? 

Like flash etc lol 

9 minutes ago, Mike_scotland said:

Do you use any cleaners for work tops etc? 

Like flash etc lol 

Yes fir the loo and bathroom as it’s diluted not neat, but I prefer to use “elbow grease” for other locations https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elbow-Grease-Purpose-Degreaser-Solvent/dp/B085F1YNM8/ref=asc_df_B085F1YNM8/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadi

Ordinary toilet cleaners seem not to cause issues.  As above we don't normally use bleach.

And something like JIF (or whatever they call it these days) for cleaning worktops.

Some people prefer the supposedly eco friendly products like Ecover.

2 hours ago, Mike_scotland said:

shouldnt use bleach for cleaning.

Absolutely. If you wanted, for some reason, to kill off all the activity within the tank, then bleach would be an easy way.

I was looking for a spray with bleach in it to kill off some mould, and it was a surprise how difficult it was to find.

Therefore it seems that few cleaning products contain bleach these days, and most are ok to use.

Bleach, we have been using sparingly, but leave in the toilet bowl for as long as possible.  That way the bleach has lost most of its effectiveness, by the time you flush.

Now bought Eecover toilet cleaner, not used it yet.

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

leave in the toilet bowl for as long as possible. 

That sounds clever and simple.

I found this.  Well done for the ability to hold on for 24 hours.

Bleach mixed with water at a 1:9 ratio (i.e. 10 percent bleach) is potent for about a day (it's more unstable in its diluted form).

1 hour ago, Mike_scotland said:

Does anyone know about dishwasher tablets and washing machine tablets/powder can be used or?

We only use dishwasher tablets that the packaging clearly states "septic tank safe" - it's in the small print and if it isn't there, we avoid them because there are others which do mention it. 

1 hour ago, Redoctober said:

We only use dishwasher tablets that the packaging clearly states "septic tank safe" - it's in the small print and if it isn't there, we avoid them because there are others which do mention it. 

do you have a brand mate? 

On 17/04/2022 at 14:32, saveasteading said:

I was looking for a spray with bleach in it to kill off some mould

white vinegar and water removes mould. We had a lot to deal with after stuff was in container storage for a couple of years. The vinegar and water worked like a dream. For other cleaning we use bicarb.

Septic tanks do not like milk as it also kills off the bugs.

We have framed signs in each of the toilets the read .. Only the provided toilet paper and what you have first eaten may be deposited. The penalty for failure to comply is that of the Sedition act of the 1400's ...

• Like 2