Intro and help!!

Carpy

Morning 

I’m Dave myself  and my lovely fiancé ( plus 4 kids) are renovating a 1970’s 3 bed house now currently a 5 bed … the builders have gone and we are finishing the inside plus a bit of the outside … so much to do so many lists however getting through it.  I can do most things , plumbing , building and the like and a bit of a perfectionist so probably taking longer than it needs 

my question is - in my bathroom I have a wall that only contains one stud going down the centre - the rest is honeycomb cardboard - I need to attach tile backing boards but have nothing to screw into someone suggested fit and dab but I’m not so sure any advice would be great thanks 

You might need to rebuild that wall.  the only stuff i know with honeycomb cardboard comes as a "complete" wall with the cardboard structure down the middle and plasterboard on both sides.  the "stud" is used to join 2 sheets together.

It sounds like someone has ripped the plasterboard off one side exposing the honeycomb core.  I don't know a way to re attach it.

I would probably cut vertical strips out of the honeycombe at 400mm centres to insert a new studwork frame.

• Thanks 1

I remember using these in the early 80s Paramount partitions Baton top and bottom slid on then a length of 2x2 pushed into the edge to start the next one off Giving you a fixing every 1200 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, nod said:

I remember using these in the early 80s Paramount partitions Baton top and bottom slid on then a length of 2x2 pushed into the edge to start the next one off Giving you a fixing every 1200 

My last house had this, hadn’t seen it before but it was fun getting cabling down the wall.

12 minutes ago, TonyT said:

My last house had this, hadn’t seen it before but it was fun getting cabling down the wall.

If you have access from above, sharpen the end of a length of 15mm copper pipe and force that down.

7 minutes ago, Carpy said:

Ah thanks everyone - I think it’s the only option -  cutting out strips and putting stud work down. - pain but has to be done 😭- I shall keep you posted F03257E4-111B-42EA-8B9C-8B357F82FBC4.thumb.jpeg.24917575b12d10882f1fc473a0cf795d.jpeg

Hi @Carpy

Just worked on this type of wall. I wouldn't add studs unless you are fixing things to the wall like a radiator. cutting up the plasterboard face would weaken the existing wall!

Others may have a different opinion but I would stick (glue and screw) the board on.

Good luck M

Edited by Marvin
fixing clarification

17 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Hi @Carpy

Just worked on this type of wall. I wouldn't add studs unless you are fixing things to the wall like a radiator. cutting up the plasterboard face would weaken the existing wall!

Others may have a different opinion but I would stick (glue and screw) the board on.

Good luck M

Ah yeah makes sense - do you think just using wall plugs and glue - would do the job? 

28 minutes ago, Carpy said:

Ah thanks everyone - I think it’s the only option -  cutting out strips and putting stud work down. - pain but has to be done 😭- I shall keep you posted F03257E4-111B-42EA-8B9C-8B357F82FBC4.thumb.jpeg.24917575b12d10882f1fc473a0cf795d.jpeg

So you still have the plasterboard on the wall then?  From your original description I thought someone had ripped the plasterboard off and you were left looking at the open cardboard honeycomb structure.

Strip off all that wallpaper and get as best you can back to bare plasterboard and glue your tile backer board on

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So you still have the plasterboard on the wall then?  From your original description I thought someone had ripped the plasterboard off and you were left looking at the open cardboard honeycomb structure.

Strip off all that wallpaper and get as best you can back to bare plasterboard and glue your tile backer board on

Ah apologies - yeah current state as shown - ok sounds good - appreciate your help