Kitchen Extraction Dilema

revelation

Hi all

We need to decide on what type of (recirculating) extraction we are having in the kitchen, we have had conflicting advice on this.

We are having an Island and we have 2.6m high ceilings

Initially, I wanted a flush fit ceiling hob but I was advised that the distance between the hood and the hob was going to be too much to be effective.  Is this correct???

We do not want a bulkhead or a traditional island hood hanging down.

The next option was looking at a downdraft sitting directly behind the hob.  We are having a gas hob and have been advised that the manufacturers will not warranty a downdraft if it is used with a hob as it draws the heat/flames towards it and over time will cause heat damage (this was advised by the kitchen company we are ordering our kitchen from)

We do have an MVHR system running in the kitchen too so there will be some consistent extraction going on.

Consider getting an induction downdraft hob. I don't know if you've used one or not, but so much better than gas. If you're committing to gas, I don't think you've many options for downdraft. Your ceiling mounted flush extractor is what I'd go for. Your MVHR will catch anything the extractor doesn't.

Your island and roof height sounds similar to us. We have vaulted ceilings. We just don’t have an extractor. We did the same in the last house as well with normal height .

I can’t say I’ve ever missed one in 10 years. With MVHR in this house any smell of gone within 10 mins. We put the vents above the island.

Ugly things. 

• Like 1

The further from the hob the less effective the extractor is.  So to be effective you would require to run at a higher speed.

We had no extractor for about 2 months, we just put the MVHR on boost, all great.

We now have an extractor which only really gets used if we are frying, to remove any grease from air.  Bit a of a waste of money, but fits in with the kitchen design.

Based on what you want to do, 

12 minutes ago, gc100 said:

put the vents above the island.

But make sure you put a filter in it or better still one with a removable/cleanable grease element.

20 hours ago, Conor said:

Consider getting an induction downdraft hob. I don't know if you've used one or not, but so much better than gas. If you're committing to gas, I don't think you've many options for downdraft. Your ceiling mounted flush extractor is what I'd go for. Your MVHR will catch anything the extractor doesn't.

I wanted to put a Bora hob in but that is a no go, it has been vetoed by the boss.  In our old place, we have both induction and gas, she doesn't like it very much so hands are tied on that one.

20 hours ago, Russdl said:

+1 to the induction downdraught hob, trumps a gas hob in every way (except price I suspect) and is so much easier to clean. 

We have had an induction hob, but unfortunately, my wife doesn't like it very much so it will have to be Gas.

18 hours ago, gc100 said:

Your island and roof height sounds similar to us. We have vaulted ceilings. We just don’t have an extractor. We did the same in the last house as well with normal height .

I can’t say I’ve ever missed one in 10 years. With MVHR in this house any smell of gone within 10 mins. We put the vents above the island.

Ugly things. 

When you say a vent above the island do you mean an extractor?  Was it flush-mounted on the ceiling?

17 hours ago, JohnMo said:

The further from the hob the less effective the extractor is.  So to be effective you would require to run at a higher speed.

We had no extractor for about 2 months, we just put the MVHR on boost, all great.

We now have an extractor which only really gets used if we are frying, to remove any grease from air.  Bit a of a waste of money, but fits in with the kitchen design.

Based on what you want to do, 

But make sure you put a filter in it or better still one with a removable/cleanable grease element.

What kind of extractor have you put in?    The distance will be approximately 1.5m from the extractor and the hood, we don't actually fry that much to be fair.  Any extractor recommendations?

We already have a grease filter over the MVHR plenum close to the cooking area.

On 18/04/2022 at 02:52, revelation said:

What kind of extractor have you put in?    The distance will be approximately 1.5m from the extractor and the hood, we don't actually fry that much to be fair.  Any extractor recommendations?

We already have a grease filter over the MVHR plenum close to the cooking area.

Similar to you we did not want a bulkhead hood over the island so we went with Bora down draft. But as that's not an option for you, I'd but some serious consideration in no hood/ extractor then. The MVHR is sufficient for BC.

Out of interest what induction hob did you previously have, and what was the issue with it? Modern / higher end ones are markedly better control and responsiveness than the cheap stuff from Currys, but if the issue was with digital vs analogue control (for example) there's little ways to avoid that.

On 21/04/2022 at 09:55, joth said:

Similar to you we did not want a bulkhead hood over the island so we went with Bora down draft. But as that's not an option for you, I'd but some serious consideration in no hood/ extractor then. The MVHR is sufficient for BC.

Out of interest what induction hob did you previously have, and what was the issue with it? Modern / higher end ones are markedly better control and responsiveness than the cheap stuff from Currys, but if the issue was with digital vs analogue control (for example) there's little ways to avoid that.

We had a Miele induction hob.   It was a good hob and had no issues with it, however, my wife prefers gas and as she does most of the cooking not matter what arguments I have bought forth she still wants gas.  So I have ruled out getting a Bora hob.  Elica do actually do a 4 zone Gas downdraft hob which I am considering but I would like to see a demo of it to see how well it actually works before committing to it.

2 hours ago, revelation said:

We had a Miele induction hob

Well, if you couldn’t convince her with a Miele I guess all hope is lost!

Just out of idle curiosity, what is it about a gas hob that your wife prefers over a high quality induction? About the only thing I can think of that a gas hob would do better is wok cooking.  

Edited by Russdl