Things not going to plan

On our  previous build I built the foundations for the garages and due to an unforeseen delay with the Brickies I built the house foundations as well 

Having turned 60 recently I vowed I wouldn’t get involved with building the foundations Other than loading them up for the Brickies 

I set the pins Then heights Brickies arrived Friday and started complaining about the 625 foundation blocks to heavy  Then the 300 wide foundation blocks for a 125 cavity I couldn’t get 350 wide anywhere So have to put a 100 mil solid behind each corse 

Then they asked for loading money 

It’s now 830 am and nothing is done 

At that point I said pack your s##t and go 

With the help of my wife I’ve laid 360 trench blocks in two days They are far to heavy for my wife to lift 

7 to a m2 

50m2 x £25 cash There's enough there for them 

I’ve done two 12 hour days and still some trench to go and 360 concrete block before the BB arrives next week 

My friend who The Brickies work for has limited control over them and the 50 odd others that work for him due to the shortage of labour But has promised me a better gang in two weeks 

More of a sound off than a constructive post 

I think the message in there is if your builder is falling behind Be patient with him As his excuses may be real 

• Like 11

Just now, nod said:

On our  previous build I built the foundations for the garages and due to an unforeseen delay with the Brickies I built the house foundations as well 

Having turned 60 recently I vowed I wouldn’t get involved with building the foundations Other than loading them up for the Brickies 

I set the pins Then heights Brickies arrived Friday and started complaining about the 625 foundation blocks to heavy  Then the 300 wide foundation blocks for a 125 cavity I couldn’t get 350 wide anywhere So have to put a 100 mil solid behind each corse 

Then they asked for loading money 

It’s now 830 am and nothing is done 

At that point I said pack your s##t and go 

With the help of my wife I’ve laid 360 trench blocks in two days They are far to heavy for my wife to lift 

7 to a m2 

50m2 x £25 cash There's enough there for them 

I’ve done two 12 hour days and still some trench to go and 360 concrete block before the BB arrives next week 

My friend who The Brickies work for has limited control over them and the 50 odd others that work for him due to the shortage of labour But has promised me a better gang in two weeks 

More of a sound off than a constructive post 

I think the message in there is if your builder is falling behind Be patient with him As his excuses may be real 

As you can tell from the pics I’m not a brickie 

At least it’s below ground 

4B153A8A-8AF6-4171-8728-AB1827140A42.jpeg

That’s bloody hard work Nod! It’s kind of reassuring to know that others, even professional trades have the same issue us amateurs suffer! Unfortunately (or fortunately?!) I can’t do it all myself so just have to wait until the trades are ready, and accept their way or no way 🤯

• Thanks 1

My mate Tge brick Baron as they are known round here has dropped me off a young lad to help me for today and tomorrow 

Ive laid the last 30 trench on the house this morning 360 solids to go Today and tomorrow 

Then K rendering Tuesday ☺️

On 16/04/2022 at 22:25, nod said:

They are far to heavy for my wife to lift

Unbelievable!  No wonder this country is falling behind.  Can't you dose her with steroids?  It worked for Bulgarian shot-putters a few years ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nod said:

Brickies do earn there money 

Especially foundation gangs 

I would class myself as fit and strong But the 625 Armstrong trench blocks are a shortcut to a bad back 

Always hated foundations. It's not just that the blocks are bigger and heavier, and them ones your using are headstones, it's you never have your feet right. Your always standing wrong, 1 foot is on the concrete and the other on the bank or they are side by side and your twisting your back. Then by the time you get 2 course up your stretching if you get up on the bank.

• Like 2

Been on footings for about 18 months and the weirdest ailment is that I have almost permanently tight hamstrings!

Getting the adjacent area scraped flat is a must-I may be as a grumpy as a mountain goat but that’s where the similarity ends.