Insulating external water pipe

WWilts

Frost doesn't really go lower than about 400mm in UK  except in exceptional locations.

Even then, it would be very short term and the water has a reasonably high temperature unless coming out of a snowy hillside.

No, it needs no insulation, and certainly not rockwool which would get wet and horrible.

• Like 1

IIRC, Yorkshire Water ask for anything above 750mm to be insulated. We lagged the pipe as it entered the building and came up beyond that 750mm threshold (basically the length coming through the rest bend), but that's it.

• Like 1

I've been doing this a long time and had not come across any such ruling (and never had a problem).

But some of Yorkshire is high and exposed and perhaps it is simplest to apply a single ruling regardless of location.

Southern Water though?

My house water (SE) comes in at about -300 (including the meter installed by the water company) and has survived some very vicious winters (to -18C).

I found this from J D Pipes.   No mention of location or circumstances.

Avoid freezing pipes

According to 'The Department of the Environment', they recommend that pipes should be buried at least 600mm (two feet) underground. At this depth, the soil acts as a natural insulator and prevents them freezing.

A deeper trench will likely be cheaper than insulation, if necessary where you are.

For a long run in open ground there are ploughs that make a slit and drop the pipe in one easy operation. But I don't think they reach 600mm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

May I jump in and ask what's best to seal the end of the flexiduct/pipe after inserting the insulation? My supplier say to "seal the ducting with a non-petroleum-based product".

Should I be using CT1 or expanding foam filler?

Any links to specific product to buy would be very helpful thanks.

flexiduct.jpg

Edited by Johnny Jekyll