Grand Designs, the street: Graven hill

ProDave

i thought it was nice with all the different designs beside each other, OH thought it looked terrible and a mish-mash. it was quite interesting that mcleod said he was always looking for different designs but thought it too much, so should always be careful what you wish for!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just watched tonights episode.  £300K for the plot and over £500K build costs for a retired couple, or rather a trying to retire couple.  Over time and over budget leaving them with no savings and still working when they expected to be retired.

This just emphasises what I worked out 20 years ago.  WHY when you retire and no longer need to work, would anybody want to remain living in one of the most expensive parts of the country?  You coul build your dream house comfortable for half that in a cheaper place and have the proper retirement you dreamed of.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You coul build your dream house comfortable for half that in a cheaper place and have the proper retirement you dreamed of.

@prodave that’s what you did yes?  I retired and built (with the help of a main contractor for the shell) our house, I certainly did not spend that much on the build.

I think there is a very big difference between the finances of market customers.

People building or buying above £500k usually have access to cash or credit, not the same for people at the lower end of the market i.e. sub £200k.

Personally if someone wants to spend a million quid on something that could be done for 400 thousand quid, that is there lookout.

6 hours ago, Gone West said:

He was an architect and couldn't deliver his own house on budget, God help any of his clients.

Not sure he could have foreseen the pandemic leading to massive price increases......he had a beard but I don't think he was a wizard 😉

For an architects house I thought it was rather bland from the outside.

Edited by Happy Valley
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Happy Valley said:

leading to massive price increases.

£9k for rendering that wall 😱, my brother has been quoted £6k for renewing his decking (I guess I will end up doing it 😎, but I don’t mind, his missus is an awesome cook! ).

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You do like life on the edge.......:ph34r:

Still got all 10 here, but I am very sure that's down to luck with what I've got up to over the years :S 

Luckily mine a webbed, no one knows the difference.

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You must have lots of gold medals for swimming?

Can hold my breath for 2 minutes 35 seconds, while holding a full conversation in BSL.

What makes me so popular with the ladies.

Stimulate mind and body.

16 minutes ago, recoveringbuilder said:

Grand designs tonight in Glasgow with @Joanna Susskind

In a rough area by all accounts, literally in the shadow of a tower block.  Right at the start the local low life set fire to their static caravan and so far nobody else has started on the other 5 plots in the self build development.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 04/05/2022 at 23:33, ProDave said:

In a rough area by all accounts, literally in the shadow of a tower block.  Right at the start the local low life set fire to their static caravan and so far nobody else has started on the other 5 plots in the self build development.

The programme of course make drama of everything! We have lots of friends in the tower blocks - it’s a great area near lots of new flats and beautiful houses along the river. The caravan was sadly burned…but we had abandoned it and the site for months as my husbands father passed away. We didn’t have site security at that point and kids must have thought it was abandoned as it was pushed to the back… Still horrific! 3 other houses are now well underway! 

• Thanks 1