Workshop tool wall.

zoothorn

36 minutes ago, joe90 said:

You asked for it…..now I finished the build I am Into classic car restoration (learning to spray currently)

8D698D69-8056-4F4B-AA91-00DD86F07F8F.jpeg

026C64B6-C206-4539-AC5E-C757B89FE458.jpeg

That grey stuff underneath everything, is that what they call "floor"?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, joe90 said:

You asked for it…..now I finished the build I am Into classic car restoration (learning to spray currently)

Is that the MGB GT you mentioned. You've got plenty to keep you busy then.

6 minutes ago, Gone West said:

Is that the MGB GT you mentioned. You've got plenty to keep you busy then.

Yes, all the welding done, just need to spray it and put it back together 🙄.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Hi chaps, great photo eg's/ excellent workshops.. actually workshop in general doesn't look so bad amongst this company.

I went to Lidl but don't have much if anything tool related/ shop not a huge one. Shame, those would be ideal.

Peter this looks a fab find! £15?! Right thats a definite, whatever exactly it has. Small bins are ideal for me too.

So I think as the pro hole walls plus the costly hangers are a bit much.. I might go J's idea of diy OSB simply with nails. Though could I fashion some hangers for the holey pro board things, out of coat hangers-? 

I'll get this, & go from there.. fab help y'all. Zoot

You could...

Lay your tools out flat on a thick board. Position where you think you'll want them. 

Use normal, countersunk wood screws to support the tools when the board is hung on the wall. 

Draw around each tool with a thick marker. Then paint the board but go around the tool outline. 

Instant, at a glance "that tool is missing".

+1 to the OSB, a couple of screws and a permanent marker to draw an outline. 

What I did was take 2l milk cartons (because I'm far to cheap to buy anything proper) , cut off the lid to make a large hole but let the handle in place. Use them to store assorted nails, screws etc. They looks nice and uniform on the shelf too. 

IMG_20220421_161116.thumb.jpg.376145fcb1f3dbcd137e6b3d175e9b26.jpg

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

The bender saw some service then. Did those handwheels work?

Oh yes mate, very well, I had to make up a few chassis sections etc but bought cills, quarter panels and floor sections that were complicated. 👍

4 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Hi chaps, great photo eg's/ excellent workshops.. actually workshop in general doesn't look so bad amongst this company.

I went to Lidl but don't have much if anything tool related/ shop not a huge one. Shame, those would be ideal.

Peter this looks a fab find! £15?! Right thats a definite, whatever exactly it has. Small bins are ideal for me too.

So I think as the pro hole walls plus the costly hangers are a bit much.. I might go J's idea of diy OSB simply with nails. Though could I fashion some hangers for the holey pro board things, out of coat hangers-? 

I'll get this, & go from there.. fab help y'all. Zoot

I like painted ply with the most regularly used tools on it, plus files up on a rack as they don’t do well in a drawer or tool box.

95A768C8-6E8F-43B7-82AF-341AE226E3BB.jpeg

@Roys Hi there. Another fine workshop.. yes I do like the painted ply too, I might follow this idea/ joe90's.

I've bought PeterW's placcy suggestion, plus another similar black/ blue from same place tho not entirely sure what it is, but so cheap nevermind. Will update with progress.

Thanks all. Zoot

3 hours ago, Cpd said:

when it was tidy

And no project mid-way through at the time?

I would show you my workshop if I could turn round in it to take a picture.

Have a dismantled, very big, sound-bar filling the bench. Just needs a capacitor changed, but it is a bit scary and a tomorrow job...this last year.

8 hours ago, saveasteading said:

And no project mid-way through at the time?

I would show you my workshop if I could turn round in it to take a picture.

Have a dismantled, very big, sound-bar filling the bench. Just needs a capacitor changed, but it is a bit scary and a tomorrow job...this last year.

Ah you need a mechanical workbench in the garage, and a completely separate electronics workbench in your nice indoor workspace (aka the plant room)  I don't think i have photographed that one yet so I might later on, if it's not too untidy.

@Cpd That looks great.

I think cpd wins the BH 'best workshop' cup.. some pots even levitating too (upon magnets I guess). So many flippin tools!

My placcy wall boards already here, amazingly. Any issue adding to plasterboard ? (with typical wallboard rawl plugs). Im not sure what load you can add like so, only having hung pictures so far.

zh

Edited by zoothorn

8 hours ago, ProDave said:

Ah you need a mechanical workbench in the garage, and a completely separate electronics workbench in your nice indoor workspace (aka the plant room)  I don't think i have photographed that one yet so I might later on, if it's not too untidy.

I've done this in the new shed- clean bench/ dirty bench.

Done a blitz job. For £32 its great, bins especially. It is quite "my first tool kit" aged 10! But sure tidies things up.

The blue pegs annoyingly coming away with the tool tho/ not wedged in well, so alot of araldite work to do. It'll do for now & over time I can plan properly a proper diy osb/ nails hanger job I think with ideas from here.

ProDave an oscilloscope? Groovy. One thing I need but far out of £reach, & would only use very occasionally.

Thanks chaps. On to the next job.. & its a big'un! So buckle up chaps. Gulp.

Zoot.

68AAE3CE-6F20-4A73-8DFF-D9646ACEA87D.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ProDave said:

you need a mechanical workbench in the garage, and a completely separate electronics workbench

I have a woodworking bench (clean) and a metal working bench (oily).

41 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

ProDave an oscilloscope? Groovy. One thing I need but far out of £reach, & would only use very occasionally.

It's now vintage.  One of the first digital storage scope's made, it cost me a whole £3 when I bought it not working as "scrap" from a previous employer and then repaired it.  I have had it 30 years

On 21/04/2022 at 16:12, Iceverge said:

+1 to the OSB, a couple of screws and a permanent marker to draw an outline. 

What I did was take 2l milk cartons (because I'm far to cheap to buy anything proper) , cut off the lid to make a large hole but let the handle in place. Use them to store assorted nails, screws etc. They looks nice and uniform on the shelf too. 

IMG_20220421_161116.thumb.jpg.376145fcb1f3dbcd137e6b3d175e9b26.jpg

+1. Big fan here of the heavy duty detergent bottle! 

20201004_123053.thumb.jpg.0216a0ee8a4d3f9c8275b02760be6256.jpg.00ac16f0b135563d21312228cf1e2ce2.jpg

IMG_20220423_075438.thumb.jpg.500d49c4addb145b1e308f2ce2e78a24.jpg

• Like 3

On 22/04/2022 at 22:12, ProDave said:

It's now vintage.  One of the first digital storage scope's made, it cost me a whole £3 when I bought it not working as "scrap" from a previous employer and then repaired it.  I have had it 30 years

Fantastic score there. You have skills to repair that, bloody eck id not know where to start. Mind you I couldn't use the thing even if it was working. I'd need 11 pages just to switch it on.

I had thought of a good thread title in the BH 'lounge'.. "Best 4 things ever bought?" a quite interesting all-encompassing thread from niknaks to well houses perhaps, I thought as an idea. I bet this would be your no.4.

(I also thought of another one.. "3 times you nearly died?" but could include illnesses, so maybe not. The idea for it was one of mine: listening to Peter Cook spieling away on my car cassette, we nearly drove off a cliff into the sea due to laughing- driver contorted/ in tears, couldn't see the road. JeesusH.)

Anyway back to my shelves, back down to earth.

Zoot.