Workshop tool wall.

zoothorn

Hi chaps.

I'm in need of a workshop wall addition for tools. I don't know the name I'm on about tho; I see eg's with a board fixed to your bench wall, with thousands of tiny holes in, you add tool hanger metal things into-?

The best eg is on a TV show, Joe Pera Talks With You. A gentle comedy (like therapy it is), the main chap's paranoid girlfriend having a fine 'end of days' basement (stocked full etc) with a work bench & great wall thingy. I'll try source a pic. Best eg.

My bench is a pickle as you can see, but so used to it Ive never organised my small (hand) tools. Just a tangle of xyz!

Any help appreciated, zoot.

4C5A4EA6-60E9-4637-B440-32FB5DB5C344.jpeg

A94ED6EC-DB8E-4017-AE29-B36C81344F07.jpeg

8 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Hi chaps.

I'm in need of a workshop wall addition for tools. I don't know the name I'm on about tho; I see eg's with a board fixed to your bench wall, with thousands of tiny holes in, you add tool hanger metal things into-?

The best eg is on a TV show, Joe Pera Talks With You. A gentle comedy (like therapy it is), the main chap's paranoid girlfriend having a fine 'end of days' basement (stocked full etc) with a work bench & great wall thingy. I'll try source a pic. Best eg.

My bench is a pickle as you can see, but so used to it Ive never organised my small (hand) tools. Just a tangle of xyz!

Any help appreciated, zoot.

You need something like perfo board or "shadow board". 

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/storage-and-handling/storage-systems/14025115-11-0-5m-perfo-panel-single/p/ZT1021308X?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=pla%2B|%2BStorage %26 Handling&utm_term=ZT1021308X&utm_medium=pla_css_2&targetid=pla-395480001257&loc_physical_ms=1007336&dev=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwr-SSBhC9ARIsANhzu16z25Hc8ruFNQ2aXnppzH5Y2irm_EBZqnA8vuse6MaMri9p8rcudHAaAkhZEALw_wcB

I use a sheet of 4x8 ply or OSB, painted white and carefully mark out and fit hooks and pins.

Edited by Carrerahill

@Carrerahill Hi there that's useful to put a name to it thanks, perf board/ yup its this stuff indeed. I'll searc screwfix etc with these two words.

What I need is a bigger 1400 x 80mm ( or so) 'perf' board. But are the hanger things specific to each Co's holes I wonder? or maybe a general standard " perf board Hammer Hanger" thing for eg, you buy & stick in..

Im just after the most cost effective way. Maybe if I wait someone might have done similar & recommend an eg. The hanger addition things seem likely the dearest part.

Thanks, Zoot.

That bench looks perfectly well organised to me @zoothorn Everything visible, everything to hand, plenty of light, electricity on tap.

Wait until you feel ashamed - unprepared to show BH members a photo - of your tool bench before you decide how to organise it.  

The longer you wait, the better and cheaper the design.

I can just about walk into my workshop - almost. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

That bench looks perfectly well organised to me @zoothorn Everything visible, everything to hand, plenty of light, electricity on tap.

Wait until you feel ashamed - unprepared to show BH members a photo - of your tool bench before you decide how to organise it.  

The longer you wait, the better and cheaper the design.

I can just about walk into my workshop - almost. 

Hi TBC. Well thing is partly I make my living in here, so the benches are as good as I want, but not the top here: with tools all in a bunch pushed to LHS I'm always digging about for a file or s'driver & so much swearing ensues. Im not doing my new workshop & new benches (both I made) justice.

I saw this basement, on the tv show, so well organised & lit.. & got major yearnings for something similar. Even a french horn hanging up. Can't find a www photo eg of it tho.

Thanks, zoot.

57 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@Carrerahill Hi there that's useful to put a name to it thanks, perf board/ yup its this stuff indeed. I'll searc screwfix etc with these two words.

What I need is a bigger 1400 x 80mm ( or so) 'perf' board. But are the hanger things specific to each Co's holes I wonder? or maybe a general standard " perf board Hammer Hanger" thing for eg, you buy & stick in..

Im just after the most cost effective way. Maybe if I wait someone might have done similar & recommend an eg. The hanger addition things seem likely the dearest part.

Thanks, Zoot.

I got a piece of 18mm OSB, built a frame under it with 2x4, sanded it and gave it a coat of clearcoat so it actually looks decent (well for a garage workshop) resin anchored some threaded rod into the wall, put this "shelf" up just above head height above my work bench, it gave me some hanging space, somewhere to mount a task light (just a 4500Lumen 4000K LED batten on a local switch) - next decent offcut of OSB or ply I will make my tool board. But having the shelf there solved so many immediate issues. I call it the tool gantry. I have my safety specs, carpenters square, hammer, level, hand saw and things like that all hung there as they are sort of the everyday stuff. Toolchest and safe next to the bench so everything is within a few steps. 

@zoothorn can you reach that back wall? If you can I would put shelves on that wall and a piece of thick ply on the left hand wall and bang nails in to hang tools on, you could always draw around the tool and paint the shape so you can see instantly where things go (I was going to do this but it never got off the bottom of my “to do list”.

4 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Bet I win on the shame front. 3 benches, all a state. 

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

@zoothorn can you reach that back wall? If you can I would put shelves on that wall and a piece of thick ply on the left hand wall and bang nails in to hang tools on, you could always draw around the tool and paint the shape so you can see instantly where things go (I was going to do this but it never got off the bottom of my “to do list”.

Hi J. Good q.. I can with a slight stretch. Made my tops fairly deep. I see your point it'll be annoying to stretch.

The idea of the perf board stuff, plus whatnots you insert, isn't quite the affordable idea I thought. Im still trawling tho. So your idea here of an added sheet of ply & diy tool hangers, might be the sensible option.

I do like the ease of popping in hanger whatnots wherever you choose to a holed perf board though.. it's sort of future-proof, if maybe not such a cheap idea. I'll trawl www over the wknd.

Thanks chaps. Zoot.

The Bott Perfo panels are good. The last commercial workshop I was in had made walls using the panels to split up the different areas of the shop floor. Was great for quickly reorganising the place. 

If you have the time and tools. I would go down the French cleat system. Google has many images of how it works. You an make a dedicated holder for everything and rapidly rearrange it. 

On 15/04/2022 at 19:49, AdamSee said:

The Bott Perfo panels are good. The last commercial workshop I was in had made walls using the panels to split up the different areas of the shop floor. Was great for quickly reorganising the place. 

If you have the time and tools. I would go down the French cleat system. Google has many images of how it works. You an make a dedicated holder for everything and rapidly rearrange it. 

Hi Adam. That bott perfo looks ideal/ & size too is mostly what I need. So what then goes into the holes.. metal thingies specific to this particular board? Or a more general thingy.

Its the thingies Im not so clear on/ hangers/ hooks is it I'm on about? I don't know.

French cleat idea looks terrific, & if I had the time to make.. but I really need a quick fix/ board up to go.

Appreciated. Zoot

I'm not sure if there are suitable alternative of hooks to use with the Bott system other than their own brand. You can buy a mix pack of hangers and you can arrange them as necessary to hold things. I would expect to spend the same on hooks as I would the wall panel. For holding items such as cordless drills its best to combine 2 different hanging parts to make a "holster" suitable for it. Items such as hammers, screwdrivers, spanners, etc, all have their own dedicated hook. 

image.jpeg.740e14a32cb8e97a2c7f216fc8f1d273.jpegHere's the ones I hung in my dads garage for him. Panel 1 of 2 (circa 2011)

Again, there's plenty of inspiration on google. 

• Like 1