Steam Generator Irons

My Philips iron has started inconsistently delivering steam through the iron and just now, started pissing water out of the base when there is a suspicious slugging/hishing part of the steam delivery phase. Obviously some some of leak at least going on so I've taken it OOS, not only is it water and electricity but dangerously hot water. So I'm guessing this isn't really a user serviceable item due to it using steam. Any suggestions?

Otherwise I'll be out tomorrow picking up a new iron and contacting Philips next week.

1 hour ago, daiking said:

My Philips iron has started inconsistently delivering steam through the iron and just now, started pissing water out of the base when there is a suspicious slugging/hishing part of the steam delivery phase. Obviously some some of leak at least going on so I've taken it OOS, not only is it water and electricity but dangerously hot water. So I'm guessing this isn't really a user serviceable item due to it using steam. Any suggestions?

Otherwise I'll be out tomorrow picking up a new iron and contacting Philips next week.

What sort of duty level do you need?

There are domestic ones, but I have a mate who runs an ironing business ... do you want a semi-pro recommendation?

Edited by Ferdinand

38 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

What sort of duty level do you need?

There are domestic ones, but I have a mate who runs an ironing business ... do you want a semi-pro recommendation?

Probably not as it would need to be both portable and reasonably priced (<£150), thanks anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly unrelated but I have found a very effective way of preventing irons from scaling up. Use the condensate water from a condensing tumble dryer. This water is devoid of any salts and I have managed to use the same iron for 10+ years now without any problems.

In fact its sort of cleaned up an old partially scaled iron

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 17:34, ryder72 said:

Slightly unrelated but I have found a very effective way of preventing irons from scaling up. Use the condensate water from a condensing tumble dryer. This water is devoid of any salts and I have managed to use the same iron for 10+ years now without any problems.

In fact its sort of cleaned up an old partially scaled iron

I might try that.

Manchester water is pretty soft but I'm buggered if I can de-scale our coffee machine enough to turn the light off.