Lifting 100kg EPDM roof rolls into place.

Tony K

I reckon a ramp and pulley/hoist are your best ideas. It's surprising how only a small angle ramp reduces the effective weight of the material being lifted. Also gives you more control. You could also get some castor wheels and create a dolly for the EPDM roll, or as already suggested load it onto some plywood or OSB to slide along the ground. All my materials went up that way including the glulam beams either on my own or with one person helping. I bought a hoist that had enough cable to reach to the bottom of the driveway so could pull materials up from the roadside.

It looks a bit weird and unconventional, but it worked and saved a shed load compared to hiring in lifting machinery.

ramp.jpg

• Thanks 1

I would genie lift it to roof 3 (onto a temp ply base) and then have a small ply ramp to get from roof 3 to roof 2. Using a wheeled dolly for that last bit, as suggested above) could work well.

I had to get two 180kg stone baths to the first floor of our build, did not trust the temp MSF stairs to hold (given they were secured with a few screws).

Luckily we had an atrium through which the genie could lift them and I roped in a few mates, just to be safe. Was a quick job in the end.

Some interesting ideas here, thanks. The idea is to fix the ply deck in place, and get the epdm up and at least resting in place all as one operation if possible, so as to minimise the time the ply is exposed to the risk of rain. I'll have at least one other person with me when I do all this, so I reckon I'll hire a genie for the day, and possibly a block tackle kit, then work my way through the various options. 

My concern about using the joists to winch the roll up, especially if I use a counter weight, is the amount of stress I'm placing on the joists. The whole of the joists are resting on a wall plate at one end (only on the inside leaf), but at the other end (above the steel) only the top chord of the joist is resting, and I may be taking a risk relying on that to take the weight. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Should we set up a build hub extra muscle hot line. 

I need 4 lads to help soon fitting some plasterboard. 

Im more than happy to help anybody out. 

Im in Cirencester Gloucestershire. 

Any thoughts admin gods. 

A Labour exchange is an excellent idea. It could also be an opportunity to learn a bit from each other on site. 

Unfortunately you're too far away from me, but good luck. 

5 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

need 4 lads to help soon fitting some plasterboard. 

Do yourself a favour and buy/rent a plasterboard lifter, last job I did I bought one secondhand and wondered why the hell I had struggled for years without one, I even sold it fir more than i paid fir it 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Do yourself a favour and buy/rent a plasterboard lifter, last job I did I bought one secondhand and wondered why the hell I had struggled for years without one, I even sold it fir more than i paid fir it 🤷‍♂️

I'm guessing he might mean distributing them around the place pre lifting?

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm guessing he might mean distributing them around the place pre lifting?

I'm sure I've seen board lifters that double up as trolleys to help get boards where needed. I shouldn't think they can climb stairs of course... 

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Should we set up a build hub extra muscle hot line. 

I need 4 lads to help soon fitting some plasterboard. 

Im more than happy to help anybody out. 

Im in Cirencester Gloucestershire. 

Any thoughts admin gods. 

Great idea.

BTW I'm an hour away from you and have a board lifter. How soon is soon?

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

Board lifter is cool, however it needs to go up 4m, I’m thinking of adapting mine, but haven’t put that much thought into it yet. 

I have an extension as some of my ceilings are 3.6m. IIRC it does 4.2meters. I will check.

10 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

we're not allowed to build with cold deck up here surprised you are. the warm deck is a far better design and it may be worth looking to change if possible.

I'm very close to other houses so went for the lowest height I could. 

How do you mean you're not allowed to use a cold deck? Who forbids it, and on what basis?