Lifting 100kg EPDM roof rolls into place.

Tony K

Afternoon all. 

I will need to move 2x 100kg rolls of epdm up on to the roof areas of my SB. 

The set up is as per the sketch. Roof 2 and 3 are approx 2.5m from ground level, roof 1 another 710mm more. 

I have seen folk run a pole through the roll, and carry it up using ladders, but not for rolls of this size and weight. 

A genie lift could be an option, but only in getting the roll up, not over and across into position. 

Any tips?! I have considered unrolling the rubber on the ground so it can be fed upwards gradually, but haven't seen this done before. 

Thanks IMG20220414132003.thumb.jpg.e2b7ffd32e282dc6ee9f81c74644d75d.jpg

Genie hoist or similar to get onto the roof then roll them into place.

if you have a local tree surgeon who has a spider cherry picker (with hoist attachment wink wink) get them to lift them into place

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Could you lean a couple of scaffold boards at an angle then two or more of you haul it up slope on ropes?

Got any mates? 😂

I will probably end up doing something like that, won't I? 

You'd be surprised how weak and useless a lot of one's mates turn out to be when tested by this kind of carry on! 

11 minutes ago, markc said:

Genie hoist or similar to get onto the roof then roll them into place.

if you have a local tree surgeon who has a spider cherry picker (with hoist attachment wink wink) get them to lift them into place

I could get a genie placed parallel alongside roof 2 and 3 (in my sketch above), then possibly lift the roll up so that it sits on the genie arms, and is level with the roof area, but then I've got to get the roll across from the genie to the roof somehow, as a genie doesn't swing round.

The biggest roll (for roof 1) is about 12m long and 5.5m wide. Perhaps I could unroll it on the ground, then fold it over so that it is 12m long and about 60cm wide, then feed it up into position bit at a time? 

Anyone ever tried this?

2 minutes ago, Tony K said:

The biggest roll (for roof 1) is about 12m long and 5.5m wide. Perhaps I could unroll it on the ground, then fold it over so that it is 12m long and about 60cm wide, then feed it up into position bit at a time? 

Anyone ever tried this?

I'd be very wary of unrolling on ground incase it got damaged.

While 100kg is heavy, it's liftable with the right equipment and help.

An effective way of moving a load horizontally is to use two layers of material that can slip over each other.

Ply might work but would be limited to 2.4m length - would probably be suitable for the base layer. Maybe use an unrolled length of strong PVC membrane or geo-textile fabric for the top layer?

I can envision a ply ramp with a lip (to stop the EPDM rolling off) and then drape the top drag layer over it. Tele handle the EPDM onto it, secure the top layer around it and heave it up into position.

Does that make sense?

26 minutes ago, Tony K said:

I could get a genie placed parallel alongside roof 2 and 3 (in my sketch above), then possibly lift the roll up so that it sits on the genie arms, and is level with the roof area, but then I've got to get the roll across from the genie to the roof somehow, as a genie doesn't swing round.

Something like.....

.....strap a couple of 4.8m scaffold boards atop the Genie arms, parallel to the roofs. You need to get the load dead centre.

Lay 3 decent ratchet straps across the boards.

Handball the roll onto the boards so if 5.5m you'll only have 350mm overhanging each end. The ratchet straps will be under the roll.

Lift to height. Ideally a tad higher than the roof.

Next strap 3 more boards from the "Genie" boards, to the roof. Ladder job to get up there.

Roll off down the slope and watch it go straight across the roof and off the opposite edge! 😂

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

I'd be very wary of unrolling on ground incase it got damaged.

While 100kg is heavy, it's liftable with the right equipment and help.

An effective way of moving a load horizontally is to use two layers of material that can slip over each other.

Ply might work but would be limited to 2.4m length - would probably be suitable for the base layer. Maybe use an unrolled length of strong PVC membrane or geo-textile fabric for the top layer?

I can envision a ply ramp with a lip (to stop the EPDM rolling off) and then drape the top drag layer over it. Tele handle the EPDM onto it, secure the top layer around it and heave it up into position.

Does that make sense?

I think I understand. You are proposing dragging the rubber up a ramp, but designing that ramp so as to make that dragging easier, as the top layer of the ramp will move with the rubber roll as it is dragged up.

I don't think this is so far removed from my idea, if I expand my proposal to include something protective for the rolled out rubber to rest on. I could set out a series of pallets with tarp or something on top, lay the rolled out rubber on them, have a ply sheet ramp leading up from the ground to the smallest roof section, and ruffle the rolled out rubber up so that it is not a dead weight when pulled from one end. Then two of us carry either end of the 600mm wide rubber up onto the first roof in sections.

Hang on, I'll do a crap drawing.

24 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Something like.....

.....strap a couple of 4.8m scaffold boards atop the Genie arms, parallel to the roofs. You need to get the load dead centre.

Lay 3 decent ratchet straps across the boards.

Handball the roll onto the boards so if 5.5m you'll only have 350mm overhanging each end. The ratchet straps will be under the roll.

Lift to height. Ideally a tad higher than the roof.

Next strap 3 more boards from the "Genie" boards, to the roof. Ladder job to get up there.

Roll off down the slope and watch it go straight across the roof and off the opposite edge! 😂

There does seem a relatively high level of potential comedy here!

If I follow my sketch above, I am only lifting the weight of the section between the ground and the roof at any one time, rather than the whole weight.

I think.

Things like this are always a nightmare; especially on your own .

I’d buy an electric hoist . Pull / slide it up some Scaff boards . Probably still need some extra hands for this . I wouldn’t recommend doing it ‘ manually ‘ at height ….

I’ve moved steels / glazing ( no laughing ) / metal stairs etc . On my own - but not ‘up’ 😁

20 minutes ago, Tony K said:

There does seem a relatively high level of potential comedy here!

If I follow my sketch above, I am only lifting the weight of the section between the ground and the roof at any one time, rather than the whole weight.

I think.

Have the video camera and at least you might get £250 if it all goes t!ts up!

• Like 1

Just now, Onoff said:

Have the video camera and at least you might get £250 if it all goes t!ts up!

Ha!

The SB is adjacent to our current house, and the whole place is accessible only by footpaths. Once, as part of renovating our current house I moved a 300kg 4m long, 40cm depp, 50cm wide green Oak Beam down a 80m long, 1m wide footpath using timber rollers like something from ancient times. Then I used a genie to lift it up near the opening it was to span. Then I realised I couldn't get it across from the genie to its destination. Then I rested the beam on two piles of blocks at either end while, underneath the resting beam, I built a platform of scaffold boards across the threshold. Then I heaved the genie up onto the scaffold board platform. Then I lifted the beam, from its centre, up to the required height (each turn of the genie handle made the beam see-saw precariously). Then, once the beam was up at the right height and perched on the genie above head height, I (and this is the best bit) unlocked the genie wheels in the hope I could roll the genie, with 300kg beam balanced on top, gently forward into position. The laws of physics had other ideas, but I just about got away with it. 

I could have made a grand at least out of You've Been Framed that day!

If the EPDM comes on a central cardboard roll, I could run a scaffold pole through the centre of the roll, then (having placed the roll adjacent to the wall) place something under each end of the pole, allowing it to rotate. I then take the end of the rubber and feed it up onto the roof (as per my sketch), like unrolling a giant toilet roll, except upwards. 

That could work?

30 minutes ago, Tony K said:

Here is my revised idea! IMG20220414152610.thumb.jpg.56346bb31af26334791f539abb17a455.jpg

Would work but you risk damaging it as it gets pulled up and snagging on something. I'd wrap the roll in a protective cover and haul it up the ramp you've made. Two people should easily be able to lug 50kg each.

88B72C15-A3C4-4757-A073-FCBF6C307085.thumb.jpeg.350b66365d0cbfcb094b39cfe7c757ef.jpeg

Assuming you can get the EDPM roll into the space below the joist...

I would make up a simple beam above the joists supported at both ends. (green) 

Then using your builders block ( blue) hoist the edpm (yellow) through the beams turn it through 90 degrees and land it on the joists. 

To do the lifting merely attach a counterweight to the other end of the lifting rope. 

Ideally maybe 4*25l drums. Stick the hose pipe in and watch the lifting happen all by itself. 

No lugging required! 

Getting these up to the low level roof (roof 3) looks easy.

- Put them on the floor under the high roof

- Straps on the ends of the roll (good bit of wood through it; straps secured to the wood)

- Straps over the joists

- Pull 50 kg each end of the strap (one end at a time and secure it if billy no mates)

- Swing it through the gap under the RSJ onto roof 3 when it's high enough

Do that for both rolls.

- Fashion ramp from roof 3 to roof 1

- Drag it up the ramp from roof 3 to roof 1 using straps

What am I missing here?

Leaving aside whether the joist can take being used in the ways suggested above, the ply boards that will sit under the rubber need to be installed to some extent or I'll have nothing to rest the rubber on when I get it up to roof height. The normal way is to have all the boards fixed in place before getting the rubber up there, but I can look into winching or pulleying it up. 

Thanks