Gateways and visibility splays

worldwidewebs

When we finished building the house we created a driveway entrance (obviously!) but didn't add gates. We're now in the process of landscaping the drive area and want to add some tallish gates for added privacy. As they will be over 1m tall, we're aware we'll need planning permission but I'm struggling to get any information from the planning dept as to what else the layout must comply to, other than it all must be in-keeping with the local area blah, blah, blah.

I've read a couple of articles talking about visibility splays, but nothing from an official source. The key question for us really is how far back do they need to go? Again, I've seen a few figures bandied around, but nothing consistent and nothing from an official source. 

Does anyone here know what the rules are, or are there no 'rules'?

A lot of the rules depend where your house is located, England, Scotland etc, town or rural and the speed limit at your entrance.

Your local Authority should have a road design guidelines document, this where you will find all the information.  It should be available online.

The general way it works is, you must be able to be stopped on your driveway with the gates closed and the front of the vehicle be off the road. - so gates are setback from road edge quite a bit.  Then from the drivers seat, you should be able to see left and right what is coming down the road.  The higher the speed limit the further you have to be able to see.

The visibility splay and gate location etc was shown on my planning permission (no mention of gate design was made in mine) so you might find your drawings are sufficient already (they would be submitted to highways for comment as part of the planning process) to comply already. They might talk to you for advice if things aren't clear. 

There is some info on visibility splays in the "Manual for streets" around page 91 to 93..

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/341513/pdfmanforstreets.pdf

Typically you must be able to see a point on the kerb y meters down the road from a point 2.4m back from the kerb in the centre of your entrance. The distance y depends on the speed limit of the road. There is a table on page 91. Diagram on 93.

If these distances are a problem if might be possible to get them relaxed. Eg 2m back for light traffic roads etc.

On 15/04/2022 at 19:51, Temp said:

if might be possible to get them relaxed.

But try not to. This is a very serious safety thing, applying as much to drives as to junctions.

The car coming at you has to see you crossing their path, react, brake and stop.

In my experience the distances that seem to be excessive are sensible.

An impact with an emerging car will be into the side of it, which is not nice.

Relaxation is fair enough if the road cannot be used at the legal speed, eg due to sharp bends, but that is unusual.

The planners have no interest in this unless they submit it to Highways and get a refusal.

Generally they don't understand it. I have seen planning permission granted for a ludicrously poor sightline on the basis that a field gate was already there. I looked at it and shuddered at how dangerous it was,.

Councils use the Highway Agency guidelines.

Find that. and it is easy to test on google earth.

Edited by saveasteading

I think we're sorted on the visibility side of things now.

The remaining question is about how far back from the road the gate needs to go - this is more a feature of entering rather than leaving the driveway. I've seen various distances quoted and the basic premise seems to be that the vehicle needs to be able to get off the road while waiting for the gates to open, but none of these figures seem appropriate for the leviathans that seem to be taking over the roads these days, so it all seems a little arbitrary. By contrast, all our cars are small

Gates need to be far enough back to allow for average vehicles to pull up to the gates and be clear of the highway, this includes visitors but not trucks or abnormal vehicles etc.

can’t remember the specific length but it is around the length of an average garage so around 16ft

Edited by markc

1 hour ago, worldwidewebs said:

how far back from the road the gate needs to go

A decent car parking space is 4.8m long, so that 16ft distance sounds plenty.

If the budget allows, an automatic gate is a luxury that you will appreciate on a filthy February night....and every day.

It also allows for the gate to start opening as you approach and click the control from 50m away , and so even a longer than average vehicle will not have to leave an end sticking out in the road.