DIY solar PV

joe90

5 minutes ago, Brickie said:

Been doing some VERY rough fag packet calcs on the payback time based on your £1500 mentioned & it came in at around a year-does that sound about right? Like I say,extremely crude (I’m a bit busy to devote the time to be more accurate) but my thinking is that,even if I’m so far out that it’s double that,it’s still a no brainer. 
Garage roof,self install,partial shading,4kw,family of four so loads of daytime usage. 
TIA

Sounds a little bit optimistic if you have some shading. Have you tried using PVGIS to check your calcs?

4 minutes ago, Radian said:

Sounds a little bit optimistic if you have some shading. Have you tried using PVGIS to check your calcs?

Yes even in the south and on a perfect roof you won't get much over 3000kWh per year, which at the present 27p per kWh is about £800 so at least 2 years payback.

I don't get as much generation due to shading but am self using about 1800kWh per year so just shy of £500 per year.  That would be a 3 year payback for me now.

30 minutes ago, Radian said:

Had a quick go but didn’t seem to like Smartphone input. 

23 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes even in the south and on a perfect roof you won't get much over 3000kWh per year, which at the present 27p per kWh is about £800 so at least 2 years payback.

I don't get as much generation due to shading but am self using about 1800kWh per year so just shy of £500 per year.  That would be a 3 year payback for me now.

👍 

Even so,still worthwhile as we’ll be in this house for many years. Washing machine currently does approx 10 loads per week (plus many 7-10 drying cycles),which can almost all be done to suit. HW via immersion,so potential there too. 
Thanks for the replies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

So basically,  based on the expected lifespan of the equipment, this is a goose which will continue to lay golden eggs for between 10 and 20 years.

“Less typing, more fitting people!!!”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brickie said:

(plus many 7-10 drying cycles)

That should really be ignored in payback calculations.

If there is an alternative that uses lower energy i.e. clothes line, airing cupboard, then those numbers should really be ignored.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

If there is an alternative that uses lower energy i.e. clothes line, airing cupboard, then those numbers should really be ignored.

Agreed but alternatives are only such if they are viable-if the washing line & airer are full up and the PE kit or the bedding is needed for the next day then it’s a necessity.
The drier isn’t used for convenience-far from it. 

Edited by Brickie

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

which at the present 27p per kWh is about £800 so at least 2 years payback.

Yes but where is electricity prices going? Down! I don’t think so, with Putins war and around 40% of our lecky generated by gas (currently) who knows how high the price will go. 🤔

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Dependant on lifestyle, so very relevant to many, including me. My tumble drier goes towards central heating because the thing is always going. Suits me to chuck it in there and go about my day vs pegging out the laundry. Sounds frivolous to some ( that's you ;) ) but is practical to me.

Horses for courses, fleas accepted.

Edited by Nickfromwales

21 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Only in the short term after a spike!

Probably no big shocks till autumn, then, hopefully, we will have the LNG supply from the UA and USA sorted out.

Though it does depend on what Hungry does.