Best quality sprayer?

ashthekid

I'm looking at spray painting my property and the newly skimmed walls myself. I'm getting a quote this week from a professional sprayer but very keen to may at least get the 1st layer undercoat myself to give me a good base and that will hopefully save me some time.

What is considered the best and most efficient sprayer as I hear about clogging and cleaning being a nightmare. I don't mind the cleaning as I'm a bit OCD but the clogging would do my head in if it keeps happening because I've got an inadequate machine.

What models do people recommend? and what kind of budget would I expect to pay for a good quality unit? I've seen small machines on Amazon but they look like I'll be constantly filling it up.

I'm doing roughly 2000sqm.

It'll depend on your budget really. Expect to pay about £500 for an entry level airless sprayer, but the ones the trades use are typically a lot more then that. The typical brands are Graco and Wagner.

I have a more budget air sprayer by Wagner, which is the W690 Flexio and that has been fine. It takes a few minutes to get the settings right for the paint being used. After that it'll do a typical bedroom in 20 minutes odd plus refills. Cleaning is a doddle, takes a few minutes, is easier and quicker than cleaning up paint brushes & rollers. You can use a paint filter/strainer  to filter paints if they're likely to have flakes/lumps, but if using a fresh tin, just mix properly with a paddle and maybe a little watering down - the sprayer comes with a measuring stick to water down by specific percentages. I'm very happy with it so far, the worst bit being the taping up and covering everything before pulling the trigger. The masking tape with plastic sheeting attached is a blessing here.

5 minutes ago, SimonD said:

I have a more budget air sprayer by Wagner, which is the W690 Flexio and that has been fine. It takes a few minutes to get the settings right for the paint being used.

I bought the even cheaper one which despite being advertised as a fence & decking sprayer behaves just like all the other models. It accepts all the different spray heads (although the fence head is good for walls) and paint containers so you can get a 1800ml pot. I've even sprayed some furniture with water based satinwood. 

I  have to admit I almost gave up to begin with: the low pressure, high volume mode was new to me and I couldn't seem to get a decent spray pattern whatever I did. Somehow, once I got the right thinning amount and finally got a test surface covered OK, it all became easier thereafter. Another one of those 'getting the knack' kind of things.

• 1 month later...
On 09/04/2022 at 21:48, ashthekid said:

I'm looking at spray painting my property and the newly skimmed walls myself. I'm getting a quote this week from a professional sprayer but very keen to may at least get the 1st layer undercoat myself to give me a good base and that will hopefully save me some time.

What is considered the best and most efficient sprayer as I hear about clogging and cleaning being a nightmare. I don't mind the cleaning as I'm a bit OCD but the clogging would do my head in if it keeps happening because I've got an inadequate machine.

What models do people recommend? and what kind of budget would I expect to pay for a good quality unit? I've seen small machines on Amazon but they look like I'll be constantly filling it up.

I'm doing roughly 2000sqm.

Did you decide on one to buy? I am looking myself at the moment and seen a wagner one at toolstation which is a decent price and much better than my quoted £4000 decorator price (don't get me wrong, i would love to afford this luxury but the budget will not allow!)

On 09/04/2022 at 22:35, Radian said:

I bought the even cheaper one which despite being advertised as a fence & decking sprayer behaves just like all the other models. It accepts all the different spray heads (although the fence head is good for walls) and paint containers so you can get a 1800ml pot. I've even sprayed some furniture with water based satinwood. 

I  have to admit I almost gave up to begin with: the low pressure, high volume mode was new to me and I couldn't seem to get a decent spray pattern whatever I did. Somehow, once I got the right thinning amount and finally got a test surface covered OK, it all became easier thereafter. Another one of those 'getting the knack' kind of things.

Just saw this.... I found a really helpful 5min video on YouTube that went through the process of getting the thinning and other settings right - probably saved me hours of grief and only took a few sprays set it up in the end.