Storing Materials

I'm planning to get some of our materials for the next stages a little early, because we can and I'm keen to avoid any further price rises or late-availability issues.  But it's obviously a bit of a false economy if it gets damaged!  Would like be sat for 2-3 months before use.  Any thoughts on how best to protect stuff?

We don't have a container, but thinking of getting a sturdy shelter/workshop tent to keep some of the worst weather off underneath.  Key things are likely to be insulation (big and bulky, prone to blowing away) and cement/mortar (probably more risky, prone to getting wet!)

I stored our floor installation in the open weighted down with concrete blocks, spent around 2/3 months like that.  Was more worried about it be stolen, but two piece were blown into the trees one windy night and wrecked.

Cement get it in plastic bags.

IMG_20201005_152002.jpg

10 hours ago, JohnMo said:

I stored our floor installation in the open weighted down with concrete blocks, spent around 2/3 months like that.  Was more worried about it be stolen, but two piece were blown into the trees one windy night and wrecked.

Nice looking site! That's just what I'm thinking - did you keep it dry?

I'm hoping it's bulky enough to not be too nickable.

We're using a pre-mixed lime mortar for part of the build, which is giving me the most worry as its expensive and only comes in paper bags!

We stored timber outdoors under Dpm

Insulation just outside in the plastic wrapping. 

Tools, plumbing, MVHR etc in a shipping container

Soil pipes etc outside under a hedge!

The shipping container with secure lock box turned out to be an essential purchase. Definitely get one. Keep at back of site as much out of sight as possible. properly dry so good for cement and plasterboard. Heard of a container being lifted from a site local to me. I rammed in long lengths of rebar and chained to the container. Would at least stop a hiab lifting it.

Edited by Conor

You need to be very careful of what you leave unprotected 

Thieves are very mobile 

Drainage lintels and insulation are prime targets 

We even had two packs of K Rend pinched off one job 

Can I suggest you consider sourcing some really cheap buckets ( I went to a local take-away and took all their mayonnaise buckets f-o-c)  and as many screw-down dog stakes as you have buckets ?

Mix up some concrete , tip into the buckets  embed the stakes in the bucket. You now have a load of tie-downs - easy to move because they've all got a handle. A dozen cheap ratchet straps to reach between the weighted buckets and you have a wind-secure tie-down system.

Five years later, all mine - that aren't in use, have disappeared and found their way into our childrens' gardens. 

• 10 months later...
On 10/04/2022 at 07:53, Conor said:

We stored timber outdoors under Dpm

Insulation just outside in the plastic wrapping. 

Tools, plumbing, MVHR etc in a shipping container

Soil pipes etc outside under a hedge!

The shipping container with secure lock box turned out to be an essential purchase. Definitely get one. Keep at back of site as much out of sight as possible. properly dry so good for cement and plasterboard. Heard of a container being lifted from a site local to me. I rammed in long lengths of rebar and chained to the container. Would at least stop a hiab lifting it.

What size of shipping container Conor?

Feels like I should provide an update!

The DPM tip has been invaluable thanks, big 4m X 25m rolls has definitely been the cheapest way of getting large plastic sheets.  Insulation, lime mortar etc. has all been well wrapped with it and stored for much longer than it should, but it's stood up and protected it well!!

We haven't had a storage container - not much space for it, expensive and an obvious target. Instead we've tried to limit amount of materials on-site.  Anything easily movable I've stored off-site and brought in a needed, so we'd only lose a week or two worth instead of the whole lot.

Bulky stuff we've taken the risk and kept on-site, but obvs hidden from opportunists as much as practical.

Not at internal/first fix yet so will review as we go! 

Edited by BadgerBadger

My problem is our site is very open and by a road. It’s on a slope though so some things I could keep hidden down the bottom. We are putting the metal garage up first primarily to use as the welfare hut but we can store stuff in it too.