Cleaning stone

Just now, pocster said:

environmental trying to avoid acid and bleach

All cleaning products have an impact - but used correctly they are fine. The Lithofin products are alkaline but to get that black off you’re looking at either chemical or mechanical cleaning. You could re-face the quoins with a diamond honing disk in a grinder but you would need to be very careful. 

I would start with Lithofin and a scrubbing brush and plenty of clean water and see how it goes.  

23 minutes ago, pocster said:

As you say . Don’t want to damage the stone . Also environmental trying to avoid acid and bleach .

As says

19 minutes ago, PeterW said:

All cleaning products have an impact - but used correctly they are fine.

RTFM, or spend the rest of your week with a bucket of deionised water (in itself very environmentally damaging) and a toothbrush.

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

As per previous reply.  Doff..

Isn’t bleach , bleach though ??

Bleach works to some extent . But I can scrub 1 quoin face for 25 minutes .

Just imagine …. Me in the street with a bottle of bleach , swearing - like a local alchi . There must be an easier way .

Stop faffing and get some brick acid. Hydrochloric is what you want. I just cleaned the bottom few courses of my pillar with the flints in. (Just wanted to see what it'd look like). 

The label is worn off of my 5L container but I did one wash with it dilute 1:1. Nasty stuff, I wore a rain jacket, rubber gloves and a full face Bionic visor.  Use a scrubbing brush and dip in the dilute acid. Scrub from left to right. Hose off:

IMG_20220423_132815435.thumb.jpg.bf220a6045d189eee45b51cae424969c.jpg

IMG_20220423_132807553_HDR.thumb.jpg.3f5dccf7ac48318fc3b5770834d336d7.jpg

Going to give a few days for the mortar to go off then acid wash from the top down. Should clean the brickwork and bring the black of the flints out.

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Got to sort that fence out on the right too...not mine but I'm going to see if they mind me putting in concrete posts and criss cross trellis to match mine. 

Before or after finishing the bathroom?

Is THIS thread really 4 years old?

• Haha 1