Hybrid inverter for small in roof 2kw array - help please!

Timmyk

4 minutes ago, TonyT said:

What about an IT earthing system?

I wish I had not started this. An IT earthing system is still an earthing system just not traditional and we are already way away from traditional here - EG Malaysia Airlines fight 370 which is not still flying, has been captured by gravity and therefore is, mostly, now at earth potential somewhere - although I agree that differential metal actions, perhaps in salt water, may well be causing some minor differences in potential of some of the parts. Naturally many other interpretations are possible and Ergo (therefore), ipso facto (by that very act / fact), inter alia (among other things) - I give up!

14 hours ago, Timmyk said:

My interpretation of that is that I've 'lost' 2.5V by leaving one of the inputs to the optimiser empty with no PV input. I have no idea if this matters or not and appreciate it's probably quite a niche problem, if it even is a problem. 

Any suggestions on that?

With individual optimsers per panel theres a minimum of 8 units specified for all the smaller inverters which I guess is to maintain minimum power input into the inverter at lower light levels. You might hit problems with that, but maybe not. Considering Radians very valid concerns, youve nothing to loose by powering up, pairing the optimiser and seeing if it generates.

Hopefully its obvious but switch the AC isolator off before unplugging and dont leave the plug unattended without ensuring no one can unplug it. Not that you should rely on these safety features but I belive the SE3680H and smaller inverters shutdown within 0.25 seconds of mains loss and they have an inbuilt RCD. If youre not clear on the risks/hazards probably best to wait for a spark to connect you up??

15 hours ago, Dillsue said:

you could plug your inverter into the nearest 13amp socket to get it powered up for testing. Not that Im endorsing it, but you could then leave it plugged in to grab some generation while the sun shines:)

Otherwise known as a Widow maker lead.

• Haha 2

On 14/07/2022 at 09:38, Dillsue said:

With individual optimsers per panel theres a minimum of 8 units specified for all the smaller inverters which I guess is to maintain minimum power input into the inverter at lower light levels. You might hit problems with that, but maybe not. Considering Radians very valid concerns, youve nothing to loose by powering up, pairing the optimiser and seeing if it generates.

Hopefully its obvious but switch the AC isolator off before unplugging and dont leave the plug unattended without ensuring no one can unplug it. Not that you should rely on these safety features but I belive the SE3680H and smaller inverters shutdown within 0.25 seconds of mains loss and they have an inbuilt RCD. If youre not clear on the risks/hazards probably best to wait for a spark to connect you up??

So I had to get back out there on the roof and re-wire the panels 🙄 But now at least the optimiser is outputting 10V as it's supposed to and all seems to be fine.

Haven't quite worked up the courage yet to attach a plug and plug it in to a socket 😬 Got a day off tomorrow so might give it a go but there seems to be pretty mixed feelings about it on here!

I have manage to get a (non-solar) electrician to agree to come and attach it to the consumer unit in the near future. Any chance you know what amp MCB I should get for him? Output is max 2kW and 9.5A. 10A or 16A? 

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, Timmyk said:

Any chance you know what amp MCB I should get for him? Output is max 2kW and 9.5A. 10A or 16A? 

Fairly sure all the inverter manuals give recomended sizes, but as Radian says a 16A unit with  B curve will likely fit the bill

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so FINALLY all plugged in to the consumer unit. But I've hit another barrier.

To commission the inverter I need to use SolarEdge's 'SetApp' on my iPhone.

All their FAQs say you can instantly register to access settings on the inverter.

But there is nowhere to register an account to be able to do this.

So without a username and login I can't get into the app to commission the inverter.

So incredibly frustrating! Is there anyone here who knows how to get a SetApp login immediately, or who could lend me their login details?

Big ask I know but I only need it to be able to set up the inverter.

Thanks if you can help

T

5 minutes ago, Timmyk said:

Okay so FINALLY all plugged in to the consumer unit. But I've hit another barrier.

To commission the inverter I need to use SolarEdge's 'SetApp' on my iPhone.

All their FAQs say you can instantly register to access settings on the inverter.

But there is nowhere to register an account to be able to do this.

So without a username and login I can't get into the app to commission the inverter.

So incredibly frustrating! Is there anyone here who knows how to get a SetApp login immediately, or who could lend me their login details?

Big ask I know but I only need it to be able to set up the inverter.

Thanks if you can help

T

Not so sure. Check the instructions that came with the inverter and there is a sequence with the toggle switch that will activate the optimisers and get the unit generating. 

To get a solaredge account you need to apply through their website. Takes a day or two to be activated. But I teont think you need this if you connect to the unit directly through WiFi.

29 minutes ago, Conor said:

Not so sure. Check the instructions that came with the inverter and there is a sequence with the toggle switch that will activate the optimisers and get the unit generating. 

To get a solaredge account you need to apply through their website. Takes a day or two to be activated. But I teont think you need this if you connect to the unit directly through WiFi.

Thanks. 

Seems there is a toggle sequence to try to pair (just hold on ‘P’ for 10 secs) but mine just keeps failing pairing and throws an error light.

The optimiser is making 10V as it’s supposed to. 

Bit lost on this one now. 

1 hour ago, Timmyk said:

Thanks. 

Seems there is a toggle sequence to try to pair (just hold on ‘P’ for 10 secs) but mine just keeps failing pairing and throws an error light.

The optimiser is making 10V as it’s supposed to. 

Bit lost on this one now. 

To check, you have the external WiFi antenna plugged into the inverter?

When it's in pairing mode, can you see the WiFi network it creates in your iPhone WiFi settings?

For commissioning the HD wave inverters without display, theres no need for an external antenna as the inverter creates a local short range wifi signal to allow set app to connect. Your phone needs to be near the inverter to pick up the signal. My son in law setup the inverter we installed for him a few months back and it wasnt particularly intuitive what you had to do. Once it was up and running he thought he knew where hed gone wrong but I cant remember what he said!!

1 hour ago, joth said:

To check, you have the external WiFi antenna plugged into the inverter?

When it's in pairing mode, can you see the WiFi network it creates in your iPhone WiFi settings?

I can yes. But I can’t get into SetApp without an installer login.

Apologies. By failing pairing I mean it does not want to pair with the optimiser when I try to do it manually using the toggle switch.

Additionally whilst I can get connected using my phone, I can’t actually use Solaredge’s setup app ‘SetApp’ because you need an installer login, which I don’t have.

Any advice appreciated. Was very much looking forward to getting this running today!

40 minutes ago, Timmyk said:

Apologies. By failing pairing I mean it does not want to pair with the optimiser when I try to do it manually using the toggle switch.

Is the 10 volts the correct polarity? Should be marked on the underside of the inverter which is pos and neg. The female MC4 PIN is positive but dont forget youre looking at the metal pins and not the plastic housing.

21 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

Is the 10 volts the correct polarity? Should be marked on the underside of the inverter which is pos and neg. The female MC4 PIN is positive but dont forget youre looking at the metal pins and not the plastic housing.

I believe so yes. I’ve checked it a bunch of times with a multimeter and pretty sure I’ve got it right. 

difficult to explain in words so hopefully this photo makes sense! 

2E1772E7-F540-4814-A1FB-E089B3110626.jpeg

That female MC4 with the red multimeter tip inserted inserts into the +ve labelled connector on the inverter. And seems from the multimeter reading that the polarity is therefore correct.

thanks for all your consistent help with this by the way - really very much appreciated!

3 minutes ago, Timmyk said:

That female MC4 with the red multimeter tip inserted inserts into the +ve labelled connector on the inverter. And seems from the multimeter reading that the polarity is therefore correct.

That all looks good.

Theres some limited diagnostics available from stick of leds under the inverter but need to get SetApp working to see whats really going on.

3 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

Quick look and I think thats for earlier inverters with a display. Now theyve ditched the display its all configured through SetApp

Exactly. Which sadly I can’t get on without registering as an installer. I can’t fathom why they’d be so obtuse about giving access to the app. 

It even says in the manual that you can sign up for instant access to SetApp from within the app - a feature they must have subsequently removed