Warranty or PCC for a new Self Build?

We have to choose between a 10 year Structural Warranty or a 6 year Professional Consultants Certificate soon - ie before site inspections start, and need help with the decision.

What are the Pros and Cons of each?

Our architect is saying get a Warranty.  Price £7000

Our mortgage broker says a PCC is fine.  Price £2500

We have good quotes from ABC+ Warranty (https://www.architectscertificate.co.uk/) and they have great reviews.

Obviously the Warranty is an insurance policy that should (?) pay out if there are issues with the built house - but there are exemptions for the flat roof part, etc

Some questions:

1.  Does anyone have knowledge of a warranty paying out for anything at all?

2. What happens after the 10 or 6 year point if we want to re-mortgage?

Thanks in anticipations......

JAS

• Like 1

That warranty price is very lumpy. I would look elsewhere. Your brokers may say that PCC is ok now but tbh there are fewer mortgage companies that accept them rather than a full blown warranty. 

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That warranty price is very lumpy. I would look elsewhere. Your brokers may say that PCC is ok now but tbh there are fewer mortgage companies that accept them rather than a full blown warranty. 

Thanks PeterW.

Here's the CML list from ABC+ for a PCC - I can't see many major lenders missing?       CML-Approved-Lenders-List-PCC.pdf

1 hour ago, JAS-Build said:

Thanks PeterW.

Here's the CML list from ABC+ for a PCC - I can't see many major lenders missing?       CML-Approved-Lenders-List-PCC.pdf

That list is 15 months out of date. Worth getting the latest.

Also, check the claim method as to how they inspect and pay out in the event of an issue, and don’t forget you’re getting 6 years vs 10 years on a standard warranty. 

Yes it is CML

The chap came out before we broke ground 

Then asked for photos 

mat each stage 

But will call in when he is passing 

It’s quite rare to be paid out off any So I wouldn’t worry to much about that 

But a necessary evil if you need to sell in the first ten years 

Or if your lender insists you take one out 

11 hours ago, JAS-Build said:

We have to choose between a 10 year Structural Warranty or a 6 year Professional Consultants Certificate soon - ie before site inspections start, and need help with the decision.

We have good quotes from ABC+ Warranty (https://www.architectscertificate.co.uk/) and they have great reviews.

Obviously the Warranty is an insurance policy that should (?) pay out if there are issues with the built house - but there are exemptions for the flat roof part, etc

Some questions:

JAS

Can I ask who your lender is? Thanks 

9 hours ago, Steady_eddie said:

Can I ask who your lender is? Thanks 

Hi.

We don't have a lender since we're building with cash, but will probably want to remortgage the house once it's done so are looking ahead to that.

Probably one of the high street banks - they've been our best rates in the past.  Last one was Barclays.  

• 10 months later...
On 07/04/2022 at 10:37, JAS-Build said:

Some questions:

JAS

Hi Jas - did you decide to go with ABC or CMLC for a warranty? Thanks

27 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

from my experience of both over many self builds, I now never bother with either. When it comes to sell and if no warranty is a deal breaker for the buyer i take out an indemnity policy. Last one was £750

What’s your specific experience of both?

• 10 months later...

hmm I've just been quoted £35K for a 10 year warranty from Protek. had a BW quote for 6.5K but probably going with a PCC with BW for 2.9K. It is like the wild west IMO. clearly plenty of the insurers have a limited capacity for self-builds with their main underwriters or have a very different risk model for some people (ours is a barn conversion). We only 'need' one because we have some funding for the build and the lender insists.