Recommendations for expanding window sealing tape

joe90

Dear all, my wooden windows are being made as I type and I am planning their fitting by myself. Can anyone recommend a type and supplier for expanding tape to seal the window to the brickwork. The windows are being installed in check reveals, I.e. The inner blockwork appature is larger than the external brickwork and the window is fixed to the back of the external brickwork, an overlap of 15mm and it's on that overlap that I plan using expanding foam tape. I also welcome any hints and tips on using this method.

John, this might horrify you but we didn't use any sealant.  We have AluClad windows which are fixed into an inner (MBC) TF, and an outer stone skin.   There might be mm's of movement between the two skins and so we needed a slip surface between the stone skin and the windows.  The stone skin was added months after the windows were in place.   But we used a similar counter reveal approach with the windows standing ~45mm forward of the TF, and a 25mm overlap on the stonework. The windows had cavity closer / fire breaks around them

My solution was simply to cover our windows with building grade clear polythene, and this both protected the windows and provided the slip surface.   The mason just laid his stone courses and quoins to provide this overlap and closed the gap with a mortar fillet.   When the stonework was all complete we carefully cut back the polythene at the junction of the window and fillet and ran a clear silicon bead along the join.  Worked a treat.

In your case, I would have expected the windows to be fixed to the blockwork rather than the brick skin and the airtightness layer here.   A similar mortar fillet might do the trick, but clearly if you are doing the more traditional approach of fitting the windows after the brick skin is up, this might not work for you.