Work on Plot whilst planning is in - What is allowed?

Just looking for clarification about what we can do on the land without planning permission?

I.e. I guess I can't start digging the foundations out, but what about trimming bushes (its an ex-garden which hasn't had much TLC!), tree growing through a wall that needs rebuilding, etc...

Like to make some progress, but equally don't want to get into hot water regarding works before planning/SAB permission.

Thanks!!

Edited by BristolBuild2020

Not sure if you have soak aways - these can be dug out etc.  As there is nothing stopping you as the land owner digging holes.

You can bring services on to site, water, electric etc.

Rebuilding a walk is a maintenance task, not covered by planning regs.

If you are in a CIL area and expect to get self build exemption, I wouldn't do anything that could be confused with breaking ground until the exemption is agreed. This has to be done prior to commencement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzz said:

You can also start to get any surveys started that you may need particularly soil for the foundation design .

Surveys already done, SAB and structural

design in progress thankfully.

1 hour ago, IanR said:

If you are in a CIL area and expect to get self build exemption, I wouldn't do anything that could be confused with breaking ground until the exemption is agreed. This has to be done prior to commencement.

This is one of the things I do worry about, can’t afford not to have the CIL exception!

Might email the council to provide clarification.

• 2 weeks later...

So to confirm my understanding then:

I can trim bushes, etc. that have nothing to do with the build.

I can get a tree surgeon in to cut down dead trees, trim others that are well outside of the building footprint.

I can dig holes outside of the footprint of the house (Soakaway?)

I can dig holes inside of the footprint (to check for utilities because for example a cable detector has detected something...) as long as I fill it in again?

I assume I can't for example start building a retaining wall for the garden (as we are on a slope?)

I can't start any digging within the footprint of the building?

Many Thanks!