How best to resolve old toilet soil pipe

Loz

Hi,

Started to renovate downstairs cloak room which thought was going to be relatively easy and then removed boxing around toilet waste.  I'll be honest I don't know much about plumbing which I am about to demonstrate !  There is a grey plastic waste part that comes into cloakroom from outside, being plastic assumed this was relatively recent but starting to doubt that as the white pipe shown in picture going into it is what I now believe to be 3.5 inches rather than what seems to the new standard 110mm from googling replacement pan connectors as wanted a new toilet.  Started off assuming was going for a close coupled full access toilet and was just going to replace the plumbing to/from it and re-box it.  Annoyingly the soil pipe is a bit of a distance off the wall - too much to get a close coupled back against the wall and  make a 90 degree turn into that waste - started looking at flexible connectors but they are all 110 and not sure if bending into wall to get toilet flush (no pun intended) to rear wall and then back out to get into waste would be a great flow.  Now thinking of going for a boxed in cistern but still not sure of how best to connect new pan connector to that 3.5 inch pipe including a right angled bend.  Seen on other posts a 3.5 inch to 110 adapter but can't get my head round going from bigger pipe to smaller - won't stuff just collect on rim of the join.  The access to the grey waste thing that goes into the ground outside the house is not great and has hedge in front/over it so don't think can easily be replaced with 110.  Any advice greatly appreciated as sure missing something obvious:

IMG_0220.thumb.jpg.a280c332f2b9de62243bb6cf729a1d1a.jpg

Thanks,

Loz

You can do all sorts of "cranking". Could you turn the pan through 90deg so it in the same wall as the grey pipe?

This is my mocking up for a mates wall hung pan:

20190531_220253

Obviously the brown 110mm can be cut way down:

20190531_220320

Then his actual install:

IMG-20191112-WA0008

A lot of the stuff goes from nom 90mm to 110mm.

2017-03-26 10.45.18

2017-03-26 10.44.47

This is mine:

20170225_120054

• Thanks 1

You can have your close-coupled WC, fear not !

What you need is a bent flexible pan connector LINK and a WC which is not fully back-to-wall ( eg there is no porcelain meeting all the rear of the wall hiding the soil connection ).

The grey is a perfectly new 110mm standard PVC pipe, so no worries there. The 3.5" bit you are looking at is a standard reduced sized pan connector, just a bloody long one, a standard off-the-shelf item.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for quick replies, unfortunately the toilet can't change orientation as a narrow cloakroom so need a 90 degree bend as the waste is on the side wall.  The big white pipe in picture is 3.5"/90mm and goes into the grey plastic T that is sized to take it so can't see how could change this to a 110 without some sort of adapter. There doesn't seem to be any 90 degree bends with flexible adaptors on the market in an all in one piece, have found a 3.5 to 4 inch adapter that could then attach onto but can't get head round going from bigger to smaller as won't waste collect on the rim where they meet inside.

Many thanks,

Lawrence

1 hour ago, Loz said:

Thanks for quick replies, unfortunately the toilet can't change orientation as a narrow cloakroom so need a 90 degree bend as the waste is on the side wall.  The big white pipe in picture is 3.5"/90mm and goes into the grey plastic T that is sized to take it so can't see how could change this to a 110 without some sort of adapter. There doesn't seem to be any 90 degree bends with flexible adaptors on the market in an all in one piece, have found a 3.5 to 4 inch adapter that could then attach onto but can't get head round going from bigger to smaller as won't waste collect on the rim where they meet inside.

Many thanks,

Lawrence

That link that @Nickfromwales put up, this is the connector.

flex.thumb.JPG.b2bb39dcb31a4e0d0bcaafa8954053a1.JPG

The back of the close coupled pan goes into the 83mm dia hole - it's a stretchy rubber connection. Aided by a bit of silicone grease to lube things up. You then stretch the concertina bit, dog leg it a bit and push the 112mm dia into the grey 110mm pipe. The "flutes" press against the inside of the grey pipe wher the internal diameter is less than 110mm.  Quick and easy for most people

If it were me I'd do it solvent weld probably but then I dont do quick or easy!

• Thanks 1

Apologies can now see been a bit dumb here - I was thinking the grey pipe showing was some sort of special piece that I needed to join inside using 3.5" pipe can now see that something like this would do the job Right angled flexible pan connector. Guess I can then go the close coupled toilet and then just come off the wall to go into the grey pipe by the side wall and box it all in - think prefer that to going for a boxed in closet toilet, many thanks for all the replies, very new to the plumbing side of life,

Loz

8 hours ago, Loz said:

Apologies can now see been a bit dumb here - I was thinking the grey pipe showing was some sort of special piece that I needed to join inside using 3.5" pipe can now see that something like this would do the job Right angled flexible pan connector. Guess I can then go the close coupled toilet and then just come off the wall to go into the grey pipe by the side wall and box it all in - think prefer that to going for a boxed in closet toilet, many thanks for all the replies, very new to the plumbing side of life,

Loz

Yup lol. 
The penny drop’th. 😎😁

• Haha 1