Connecting up Temporary Building Supply - Metering, CU & Sockets

Western Power have just finished our three phase connection for a temporary building supply. Our plan is to just run this into the main house and the meter will remain here (we'll build a fancy brick enclosure around the meterbox), to save having to pay Western Power again to move it into the house.

Next up, is for Octopus to come and put a meter on the supply. Will they also put in a Consumer Unit, or is this the electricians responsibility?

For temporary building supply requirements, once the meter is in place by Octopus, I assume the electrician will be able to place some outdoor sockets and a commando socket (to connect up a touring caravan) next to the meter box?

I also have been told that the site power sockets and caravan commando socket need to be fed from a TT earth (local earth rod) - Who's responsibility is this, the electrician?

Just trying to figure out the correct order of things and if I need to tell Octopus to do anything special when they come to put a meter on the supply.

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-02 at 19.31.36.jpeg

Your spark needas to have the main fuse, RCBOs, earth rod, meter tails etc in place. took a couple attempts before our supplier was happy to fit the meter. What you can have as outlets will likely be documented in your DNO connection pack. For us, it was ONLY 16a commando sockets. Of course I just put on a fly lead with 13a extension gang.

Yes some DNO's require you have some equipment in place before they will fit a meter.  All you need is a sparky to install a mini CU in the top right of the meter box, feeding your site sockets, and a TT earth rod for that. And leave the meter tails hanging ready to connect into the meter when it is fitted.

An EIC (which will be incomplete) might also be handy in case of dispute. 

12 hours ago, Conor said:

Your spark needas to have the main fuse, RCBOs, earth rod, meter tails etc in place. took a couple attempts before our supplier was happy to fit the meter. What you can have as outlets will likely be documented in your DNO connection pack. For us, it was ONLY 16a commando sockets. Of course I just put on a fly lead with 13a extension gang.

11 hours ago, ProDave said:

Yes some DNO's require you have some equipment in place before they will fit a meter.  All you need is a sparky to install a mini CU in the top right of the meter box, feeding your site sockets, and a TT earth rod for that. And leave the meter tails hanging ready to connect into the meter when it is fitted.

An EIC (which will be incomplete) might also be handy in case of dispute. 

When you say DNO connection pack - are you referring to Western Power (who I thought is the DNO) or Octopus? As neither sent me a connection pack! 

The rest of the steps make sense - will get the electrician on site before Octopus connect up the meter.

4 minutes ago, thefoxesmaltings said:

When you say DNO connection pack - are you referring to Western Power (who I thought is the DNO) or Octopus? As neither sent me a connection pack! 

The rest of the steps make sense - will get the electrician on site before Octopus connect up the meter.

Western power. You should have signed a load of paperwork, drawings etc. Their connection requirements will be there. Fyi octopus aren't installing the meter, it'll be Western power again, you're just going through octopus as their your supplier.

5 minutes ago, thefoxesmaltings said:

will get the electrician on site before Octopus connect up the meter

Currently assisting 2 clients on choices for a supplier. Could I please ask if Octopus have offered ( promised ) you a ToU tariff ( GO / GO faster ) from the outset, or whether they have asked to put you on their fixed price tariff for the immediate?

We needed nothing, just the dno bit you have done. they then fitted the meter with nothing else done. Everything else is down to the electrician. If they insist on having a consumer unit fitted first just get sparky to put a small one in cabinett with the earth rod / connection done at same time. Would take half hour to fit these.

2 hours ago, Conor said:

Western power. You should have signed a load of paperwork, drawings etc. Their connection requirements will be there. Fyi octopus aren't installing the meter, it'll be Western power again, you're just going through octopus as their your supplier.

Western Power gave me a connection offer and a plan which I signed, but it wasn't loads of paperwork - this is all the info I have. 

Okay, so even though I am speaking with Octopus to install the meter, it will be Western Power carrying out the job. - This meter install is done after the electrician has put a CU for the site sockets and meter tails - is that correct?

WP Connection Works.jpg

Our DNO (UKPN) no longer accept the enclosure on timber legs, they want a kiosk concrete base.  They also like a hockey stick up to the kiosk, not a gap like you have.

We put in a switch fuse from the meter tails so we can isolate the consumer unit easily.

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Currently assisting 2 clients on choices for a supplier. Could I please ask if Octopus have offered ( promised ) you a ToU tariff ( GO / GO faster ) from the outset, or whether they have asked to put you on their fixed price tariff for the immediate?

Standard fixed price tarrif for the immediate connection.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Thanks.
Have they indicated when you would be moved to the eagerly sought ToU offerings? Any indication of price plan / duration etc downstream? TIA. 

They said once the meter was all connected etc, then I could select my tarrif and switch onto a better tarrif.

• Thanks 1