Getting the levels correct

I’m due in the next couple weeks to put a huge steel across the middle of my extension which will be supporting an extended bedroom. Last night I was almost having panic attacks that the steel will go in and the floor heights won’t match! Can anyone give me some tips on how to make sure my heights are all correct other than using a tape measure. I don’t have detailed plans 

9 minutes ago, jimal1969 said:

I’m due in the next couple weeks to put a huge steel across the middle of my extension which will be supporting an extended bedroom. Last night I was almost having panic attacks that the steel will go in and the floor heights won’t match! Can anyone give me some tips on how to make sure my heights are all correct other than using a tape measure. I don’t have detailed plans 

Yes

Hire or borrow a good quality laser 

and mark a Datum line either side of where the lintel will sit 

and simply measure up from these 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Doing something that needs a steel beam without detailed plans or a tape measure seems a recipe for failure?

At least provide some photos and a better description. 

Not really, I’ve obviously got structural calcs and the job is very straight forward (2 walls out and a flat roof). I understand and know where everything will go and I’m on site all the time. Apart from the stress, which I’d get anyhow there’s not a massive need for the plans

4 minutes ago, AdamSee said:

Fit it lower than nessecary? You can always build the hight up or pack it up. Can't removed material from it or lower it easily. 

Now we know it's 2 walls out and a flat roof from the post above, then fitting it lower might mean it's too low for the door.

It needs to be thought about, and at least sketched with door height, beam height, roof height and roof construction.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Now we know it's 2 walls out and a flat roof from the post above, then fitting it lower might mean it's too low for the door.

It needs to be thought about, and at least sketched with door height, beam height, roof height and roof construction.

Yeah, I don’t think he’s talking about feet lower, perhaps one course of bricks lower, but the truth is get it right, obviously measuring, perhaps laser level and drill some exploration holes to find my exist floor joists?

From experience, please be sure you understand the principle of how laser (or other )levelling works before going this direction. 

It isn't a concept that everyone easily grasps.

As you putting this in to tie in with an existing upper floor, there may be a better solution.