New roof

Tetrarch

I'm definitely having a new slate roof installed over the next year or so. I'm also considering getting a solar array, but am not sure about the economics

Is there any way to pre-fit a roof for a solar array at the time or is this one thing that sits between trades? What would the likely sunk cost of this kind of approach?

Any advice, suggestions welcome

Regards

Tet

Second the inroof system. It's relatively easy to install once you figure out the battening layout. The extra battens go on after felting but before slating. You install the trays and wires before slating, the the actual panels at the very end.

The the price of electric going up and up, you'd be mad not to.

Thanks guys - I am convinced. With energy proces going only one way and EV's an inevitibility, now is probably the right time to consider solar. 

Next consideration is yes/no on storage and to wait for planning permission so I can know how big my South-facing roof will actually be...

Regards

Tet

3 hours ago, Tetrarch said:

Thanks guys - I am convinced. With energy prices going only one way and EV's an inevitability, now is probably the right time to consider solar. 

Next consideration is yes/no on storage and to wait for planning permission so I can know how big my South-facing roof will actually be...

Regards

Tet

Hi @Tetrarch

Storage is another challenge all together and is the reason we are building power stations rather than energy stores. Our PV supplies most of the power we need for the year, just not when we need it. Using the European PVGIS calculator even with 100 12v 100amp batteries we would run out in winter. However for us it seems well worth the effort for the other 8 months of the year. A lot lot lot less batteries and only need to cater for power demand during late night early morning....

Edited by Marvin
further thought

5 hours ago, Tetrarch said:

Next consideration is yes/no on storage

Use your concrete slab ( thicker the better) as a heat battery.

Our 300L UVC is in effect a 14kWh battery. Again the bigger the better. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2022 at 17:44, Iceverge said:

Use your concrete slab ( thicker the better) as a heat battery.

Our 300L UVC is in effect a 14kWh battery. Again the bigger the better. 

We have a pellet boiler for heat but I like the EV-as-a-battery idea.

Regards

Tet