22 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Thanks Temp, I obviously need to get to specsavers! :D

The pump people have no problem zero rating my invoice but asked for my certificate, what's that???

Your planning permission approval letter from your LA.

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

I did mention that to her but she was adamant it was not that but an actual certificate. I'll speak to her again tomorrow :)

Something like this @Vijay? This was based on a template @JSHarrisshared previously - I've provided it to a couple of contractors although they weren't too interested but would keep them straight if needed hopefully. 

VAT Cert_Sample.odt

Well it turns out you guys were spot on. Firstly the pump people let me down, I spoke to them at around 4pm yesterday and we agreed next Thursday, said I'd call them this morning with payment details, only to be told they've let someone else have the pump. So I called the concrete people to confirm their booking and even though they previously told me it would be no problem to get all the concrete to me in half a day, they've now said it would take longer and I should get a pump for a whole day. Not impressed with them at all!!

The upshot is the other pump people who can supply the concrete too can do next Thursday and I'll hire their boom pump for the day. They are still sure they do not zero rate the VAT but I'll be forwarding the links you guys have given me on this thread together with a completed certificate template. Fingers crossed they'll agree to zero vat the concrete and pump :)

Most companies are not really used to dealing with self builders like us  - most companies they supply will be VAT registered so it's not a problem. The problem is that they think (from Grand Designs!) you can claim it all back - they are not familiar with the quirk that says supply+fit has to be zero rated upfront. 

Worst case, ask them to just invoice for the supply of 65m3 concrete and you'll be okay - albeit have to pay the VAT upfront. I'm assuming they will send you a pro-forma first which you can check before you pay - but then you lose the more formal commitment of doing the pumping and the supply together and the responsibility for the job being with them. 

Keep us posted!

Just thought I'd update and thank everyone who posted. I sent all the relevant selfbuild VAT pages to the pump/concrete supplier and after a bit of hesitation, they've agreed to zero rate the invoice. Saves me 1500 odd quid of my usable budget :) 

• Like 1

A certificate isn't normally required (see 17.1 below)  however there is no harm in providing one if someone thinks they need one to zero for you.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction#certificates-for-qualifying-buildings

17. Certificates for qualifying buildings

17.1 When does a contractor or developer need to hold a certificate?

You need to hold, within your business records, a valid certificate when you make:

any zero-rated or reduced-rated supply in connection with a building that will be used solely for a ‘relevant residential purpose’ - see paragraph 14.6, or any zero-rated supply in connection with a building that will be used solely for a ‘relevant charitable purpose’ - see paragraph 14.7

There is no requirement to hold a certificate for zero-rated or reduced-rated supplies in connection with buildings that will be used as one of the types of dwelling described at paragraphs 14.2 to 14.5.

I had one or two people ask me for a certificate and I just sent them a letter containing the info mentioned in section 18 ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction#the-certificates

Sorry, for some reason I can't fix the missing end quote tag. 

Edited by jack
End quote tag fixed