Probably like me just handed the logs into the office and they didn't bother doing anything else with them.

Well, nothing has happened this weekend, it rained too much, I was at the building show in Glasgow on Sunday though so picked up some good ideas and saw some good materials and systems.

The rear found for the garage is 100% complete as of middle of last week, so I can start the block-work - I need 36 blocks to start it, I don't want a delivery of materials yet as they will get in the way so I went to TradePoint - 1 in stock! I enquired as to what was going on apparently the supplier as a shortage. 

I'll need to get along to the merchants this week and get them.

I now have a small wall along the back found which the slab will be poured up to. I still have no planning permission for any of my projects annoyingly, that is 8 weeks almost to the day so I am hoping for something soon as I want to get watertight structures up before mid autumn!

I will post some update photos soon.

Well, I have an update from planning. They didn't allocate my application so it's been sat unassigned to a planning officer!

The council say they have a statutory 2 months to give you planning, well that's us into the 10th week, so I could not technically appeal but I don't want to start upsetting them because I am sure you all know what they can be like.

They will now fast track it but need a minimum of 21 days for neighbour objections, I don't see a letter on the lamppost yet so I hope they back-date it! I am annoyed at myself though because I knew a letter would be attached to the lamppost outside, I was even waiting for it about a month ago, but sort of forgot about it recently with all the other things happening at the moment. 

I am just going to let it all happen then tear a shred off them once I have my consent and also try and at least get my money back. 

1 hour ago, Carrerahill said:

Well, I have an update from planning. They didn't allocate my application so it's been sat unassigned to a planning officer!

The council say they have a statutory 2 months to give you planning, well that's us into the 10th week, so I could not technically appeal but I don't want to start upsetting them because I am sure you all know what they can be like.

They will now fast track it but need a minimum of 21 days for neighbour objections, I don't see a letter on the lamppost yet so I hope they back-date it! I am annoyed at myself though because I knew a letter would be attached to the lamppost outside, I was even waiting for it about a month ago, but sort of forgot about it recently with all the other things happening at the moment. 

I am just going to let it all happen then tear a shred off them once I have my consent and also try and at least get my money back. 

There are so many reported instances of applications getting lost between the planning portal submission and the LA that you can only draw the conclusion that it's a deliberate mechanism by the LA to slow work volumes!!

As you say you are between a rock and a hard place because the process for redress is largely pointless at this stage!

I feel your pain :(

Same here - couldn't track the payment between the portal and their systems so rejected for non payment despite me advising there was no way to hit "Submit" on the portal unless a payment had been successful .......

Added 2 weeks and they took 7 weeks and 5 days.... 

Update: planning officer has just left after doing her site visit, she says I can call on Friday and get a verbal with the letter going out soon after.

The garage has had half the roof removed so half of it can be demolished this weekend - I will slice the walls down with the angle grinder and a diamond blade where the temporary stud/OSB wall is and pull it over with the excavator which shall be delivered on Saturday morning.

I have ordered some hardcore for the garage slab area, top soil, fence posts and rails to build some "edging" which I will then fill up to the top of with good excavated soil to make the new level of the lawn - don't worry it will only be 200mm high. I was just going to form a little slope off at the end of the garden but I decided I would just edge it and finish it off square, I will then fill the other side with some bark around the trunks of the tree's there and that should look smart.

By Sunday night I would like to have completed the following stages:

1. Edge lawn on 3 sides with posts and rails to raise it to current patio height.

2. Dig a hole in the middle of the lawn about 3m x 3m down to about clay layer.

3. Pull half of the side wall of garage down and the two small sections of wall either side of the car door.

4. Scrape garage site of poor gravelly top soil.

5. Chuck the wall and poor gravel contaminated top soil into the hole in the lawn (should I lay some pipe down to this area to create a soakaway of sorts?)

6. Fill in the hole compacting as we go.

7. Scrape the whole lawn site of all grass and turn it over and roughly level it.

8. Scrape the garage site of all the good top soil (and it is good stuff) using all or some of it to back fill the lawn site up to the edge of the new edging.

9. I may go right down to clay on the garage site if it's not just going to be an excessive depth and vast amounts of hardcore but on this site I think clay is only 300mm down.

10. Level the lawn site.

At this point I will go and get a cold beer and with any luck light the BBQ for my *cough* workers *cough* - ahem family/friends. Probably a lot to try and do in a day but I think we can do it.

Sunday morning assuming I have done all the above in a day I will scrape the front drive nearest the house of all the pebbles and a thin layer of poor soil in prep for a new front lawn. To get rid of this gravel I will maybe chuck it on the garage site.

Spread the hardcore over the garage site.

At that I think I am done.

Additional work I may do if time and spare soil permits is remove a row of slabs adjacent to the new lawn to make it a little longer, if I have even more time and there is plenty of soil I may even move 3/4 columns of slabs and churn that up a bit, dig a trench for a small retaining wall to make a small raised bed along the side of the garden and then a strip of lawn.

Wish me luck - will I post photos?

Will you also attempt to resolve the Brexit negotiations?

Good luck!

• Like 2

Well the digging is all done, the lawn has been raised and the garage site cleared and dug out. I need to go in and sort out bricks and stuff which I piled up then I can start with the hardcore going in.

I am pleased with the result, the lawn site needs graded properly as it was just roughly graded with the excavator as we ran out of time!

I opted not to do the front lawn scrape as I didn't want to have too many mud pits!

Photos on soon once I get them from my camera/phone.

Here are some photos of the progress.

I got 5.8 tons of 6F2 (recycled aggregate) delivered on Tuesday, whacker is coming next week (Friday I think) and on the same afternoon loads of MOT are due to arrive, so plan is whack the site, get a load in and levelled, whack it then get another load. 

20170717_095843_resized.jpg

20170718_121630_resized.jpg

20170803_163558_resized.jpg

20170801_131128_resized.jpg

Edited by Carrerahill

So, the plan above didn't really, well, go to plan!

I have only just received the last load of type 1.

Whacker is coming tomorrow.

With any luck I can post some images of a site ready for shuttering by the end of the weekend. 

On 11/05/2017 at 07:13, Ferdinand said:

Isn't that a Mexican standonoff

Perhaps it is an example of recursion - for recursion see recursion...O.o

Update:

Just off the phone to my ground works man. The concrete has been booked for next Saturday 08:00. The shuttering is 3/4 built, but only about 2/3 rakers have been set, so this weekend I must fit all the rakers, lay in the gulley and T branch for the waste, lay in a piece of electrical conduit to get my SWA in via the floor, lay in a piece of conduit for the water, and a 4 inch conduit for data or control cables or whatever and haunch it all.

Then I need to do a final level of the hardcore and the ground work man will be round on Sunday to whack it (just the final 75/100mm cover). 

Then I have next week to roll out the DPC and lay and tie the rebar.

All seems quite doable, although I really only have this Saturday and evenings next week.

I am looking forward to getting this stage done as I feel as if I have had a hole in the ground for some time and it will then let me strip all the shuttering and have a major tidy up of all the wood I have been amassing to build the supporting structure of the shuttering. I can also start getting the ground levels up to the slab more or less worked out.

I will post photos, promise - I just might not do it soon!

Concrete was placed today...

Garage Slab.jpg

6.2 x 5 - 200mm slab C35

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 2