Shopping around

crispy_wafer

Tasks this week include shopping around for bit's and bobs for my downstairs UFH. 

I've had quotes in from the likes of Wunda but like everything I love to price match to make sure I'm not being taken for a fool.  I don't spend much time out of the office so hate trawling round merchants much prefer to be in the build.  So with the internet being my friend does anyone have any good online goto suppliers they would share for - 16mm Pipe P.Al.P, actuators, manifolds etc.

Many thanks

Marek

Type up a rough list in an email and send it on to a few builders and plumbing merchants and see what they come back with. Doesn't need to be exact or fully complete, just enough to get an idea 

E.g.

10x coils of 200m 16mm PERT pipe

2000 60mm ufh staples

3x 8m lift 28mm circulating pumps

3x 8 port stainless steel manifolds

3x 22mm actuated valves

50m 22mm PET pipe.

Then take it from there and finalise the list with your chosen merchant. I did this and saved over £1k.

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

I would never mix and match unless I wanted to spend time making sure it all worked together and time was not money. I had to try and bodge some 15mm speedfit clone pipe into some 16/15mm adapters on a no brand manifold for a mate and it took me 3 hours to make off 8 pipes with no leaks. Plumber had similar issues once the pipe was pulled in too as standard fittings were weeping as the pipe seemed to be slightly oval. 

He had saved £150 on the bits overall, extra 2 days of the plumber cost him £400, my time cost him a lot more than a beer …!

35 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I would never mix and match unless I wanted to spend time making sure it all worked together and time was not money. I had to try and bodge some 15mm speedfit clone pipe into some 16/15mm adapters on a no brand manifold for a mate and it took me 3 hours to make off 8 pipes with no leaks. Plumber had similar issues once the pipe was pulled in too as standard fittings were weeping as the pipe seemed to be slightly oval. 

He had saved £150 on the bits overall, extra 2 days of the plumber cost him £400, my time cost him a lot more than a beer …!

Agree, so I'm trying to get like for like on the Wunda spec. 16mm pipe, staples, actuators, prebuild Wilo or Grundfoss manifold and pump pack.  The wunda quote wasn't dear @£1460 for the bits, but I've managed to pretty much save just short of £250 on all items they listed.  And that's from one plumbing supplier - psw-trade.  Oval pipe though, no 🤣 matter.

Edited by crispy_wafer

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

The stuff from PSW trade is not the same as Wunda - not by a long way. I’ve fitted both, they are chalk and cheese. 

And only go with the Wilo pumps - they are virtually silent. 

Thanks, I Appreciate the feedback from someone who has been down this rabbit hole before me.