Can you believe I started this on the other forum? 

It was daiking's thread with his pristine, kid's play area gave me the kick today to get out and do something on it. xD

Was just four 100x100mm posts originally for my lad when he was little. The youngest, (a girl) wanted more room, a roof a balcony etc.....no idea where she gets that from. The spiral stairs were my idea. Just getting round to concreting in two extra galv steel brackets I had my fabricator make up. Well, dug the holes, drilled the posts & tomorrow's another day!

SAM_2082.JPG

SAM_2083.JPG

SAM_2084.JPG

BUT.....I've taken so long we've got squatters (last year it was wasps):

SAM_2088.JPG

Climbing wall's going on the left. Planning to extend out the back to give covered storage for the ride on mower. Possibly then will double the tree house size to 3mx3m plus the balcony. Storage sheds underneath etc.

• 1 month later...

Any suggestions how I can radius the corners of the treads WITHOUT dismantling the spiral staircase? I know, I should have done it beforehand! Jigsaw won't fit under from either direction!I

20160716_110727[2].jpg

20160716_110818[1].jpg

Edited by Onoff

Even my little, no name 18V cordless jig is too tall to go in there.

Somewhere I think I have the old B&D attachment that attaches to their old electric drill. So far I've found the sander and circular saw but can't find the jig saw for love nor money! I've never actually used them but got given all 3 still in their boxes. Not sure tbh if I've still got an old B&D metal drill anywhere.

Other than that then it'll either be a very small, sanded radius or cut chamfers and sand as said.

Going back in the garage to look for that B&D old school jig saw attachment.

Can't modify the Bosch jigsaw as the blade tightening device comes all the way up to the curved black bit that swings out as a handle.

Popped my head up in the (garage) loft briefly yesterday and judging by the smell I've got whatever I had in the house loft a while back up there where I couldn't identify the poo. My money's on squirrels now as outside the garage the other day I disturbed something that legged it along the soffit . Neighbours conifers are so close I think it provides easy access.

As daft as it sounds I wonder if using the jigsaw upside down might work?

I presume the "task" is just to round off the front corner to stop bruises?

Why not just cut the corner off at 45 degrees with a panel saw, and then round the edges with a rasp / surform / belt sander?

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I presume the "task" is just to round off the front corner to stop bruises?

Why not just cut the corner off at 45 degrees with a panel saw, and then round the edges with a rasp / surform / belt sander?

That would be the easy option! Just think that a radius on the corners front and possibly back would look and feel a bit more "organic" and be more in keeping with the spiral shape. I'm also maybe going to put a bit of stainless builder's band on to limit the splitting.

I think you want an electric plane, as used for taking extra bits off the side of doors etc. Less cumbersome than a belt sander.

Get a template to draw the line on each, then radius it from the outside going round with many passes.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I think you want an electric plane, as used for taking extra bits off the side of doors etc. Less cumbersome than a belt sander.

Get a template to draw the line on each, then radius it from the outside going round with many passes.

Ferdinand

Maybe, reminds me I need new blades for mine!

Just changed mine on my big Makita. Makes a hell of a difference and the good thing is they're reversible so only one visit to the shop gets you two changes. Bought it mega cheap from a power seller on eBay, less than half price iirc, brand new in the box. 

Some late night browsing / buying pays off. 

Good idea on the plane, then the BS. 

After reading Nick's comment ref plane blades I went and looked at mine (Bosch). Lo & behold they are reversible! Result thought I so duly turned them round. I've had the plane for umpteen years and didn't realise. Switched it on to do the tree house steps and motor was spinning but NOT the blades.....broken belt! xD

• Like 1

Went for a smaller than intended radius in the end (whatever the Rocol tin is) and used the Bosch jig saw. Tight but could sort of get the saw going then "bend" the blade. Had to cut the back one with the saw upside down. Then 60 grit paper in the orbital:

SAM_2362.JPG

• Like 1