35 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

I asked this question the other day, I'll try to record my magpies trying to eat my new roof - the plastic and velux flashing.

None of them have tried to eat the felt on the tree house though. Shit on it, yes. Eat it, no.

• 9 months later...

Decided to re-roof the tree house to get maybe another year out of it before it makes way for a cabin / garden room.

I need a "piece of felt" 5m x 2.2m. Thinking that lorry siding type stuff advertised as an alternative to traditional felt. Don't really want to spend circa £100 + adhesive etc on EPDM. Any suggestions?

Cheers

If you literally mean just one year... then pretty much anything will do.

I've made a log store with a piece of 1200 gauge DPM as a roof, stapled on- a bit ugly, but it's surviving Skye weather surprisingly well.

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

If you literally mean just one year... then pretty much anything will do.

I've made a log store with a piece of 1200 gauge DPM as a roof, stapled on- a bit ugly, but it's surviving Skye weather surprisingly well.

Erm...my "years" are a bit different to others! :)

• Like 1

One of my log stores has nothing but an old tarpaulin stapled to the roof to keep it waterproof. It was a fairly heavy duty tarp - but didn't cost much. Its been there for 4 years and doesn't seem like its going to stop working anytime soon.

The ideal would be lorry side curtain but a piece of that is coming out about £100.

My mate did give me a complete curtain years back but it's been chopped up over the years to make various covers. Used a bit in fact to put the spoil on when I dug a hole for the spiral stairs:

SAM_8731

21 minutes ago, daiking said:

Fosters can shingles 

That's a really silly idea...believe me I've thought of it! :)

Getting the annealing right to flatten them out is a bitch though. Too much heat and they just crinkle up:

20170429_162123

• Like 1

Got an "in" to a place that repairs commercial trailers from an old workmate. They do 1 or 2 ply curtain siding and it comes 2.5m wide. Just waiting for a cash price for 5m of it.

It'd be hard to find anything tougher than lorry siding, I think.  I was at a commercial vehicle show years ago, and on one of the stands there was a company demonstrating how tough their siding was, by handing out Stanley knives to people and asking them to have a go at slashing through it.  Apparently they'd developed this super tough stuff to try and stop illegal immigrants from slashing through siding to climb into trucks.

That sounds like handy stuff. At that price, does it come with cut edges, needing turned back and sewn?

By the way, I think my boat's cockpit cover is made of this kind of stuff. It got a hole in it recently and the self adhesive repair patch lasted about two days. I then tried a PVC dinghy repair kit and that's done a great job. Just in case you get a hole in yours...

3 hours ago, Crofter said:

That sounds like handy stuff. At that price, does it come with cut edges, needing turned back and sewn?

Nope, straight off the roll. No eyelets in it or anything. Though they will do that.

Need to sort this. I put a 1st layer of sand felt over dubious quality second hand 18mm ply and well...the felt ripped and I left it :ph34r:. So I'll have to stump up for some OSB too:

2017-05-25_05-17-41

Using underneath as a shed at the mo too.

• 2 weeks later...

Back then with £85 worth of two ply, dark green lorry siding 5x3m, 3 sheets of OSB3 from Wickes where it's just over £16 a sheet on offer. This plus a can of dark brown No Nonsense wood treatment. What screws are best to affix the OSB down with? I've got either S'fix Gold screws or some A2 stainless ones again from S'fix? Don't want it coming off in a gale!

The 4"x2" rafters are at about 500mm centres.

SAM_8805

Edited by Onoff

• 2 weeks later...

Well, used 5x45 A2 screws the first side...then ran out and used 5x60 Goldscrews to do this side. All covered now in 18mm OSB3

Copious amounts of No Nonsense wood preserver used. 

Just got to sort the cloaking /eaves now before the lorry siding / curtain goes on.

A lot of work for a 10x5 space at the end of the day. I really should have started from scratch:

20170610_174947

The lorry curtains coming on:

20170617_160139

Made the edges pretty:

20170617_190808

Got to find some trim to keep the edges secure. Found a length of square gutter and figured it must be UV proof. A mission to cut using an old,  cheapo (Champion brand?) 18V circular saw. Could have done with a finer toothed blade tbh. Will affix with st/st penny washers and screws. Not sure 30mm strips are wide enough?

2017-06-17_07-10-48