Bio-diversity Net Gain for single dwelling

Has anyone come up against submitting a net gain for bio-diversity for their build? It can be submitted by non ecologists but the current ‘matrix’ system in place seems far to broad in terms of describing a garden. The current planning officer has no working examples. Reaching out to see if other self builders have had to submit something similar. 

Gosh that could be tricky to do properly or easy at the most basic 'rewilding'. I want to put a pond in my garden but spoke to the ecologist about it when he was monitoring my expensive bats and he said, 'Yeah, there's a risk you'll attract Greater Crested Newts...

Sorry, no help!

Edited by Jilly

Didn't we discuss this when it was first mooted.

Unless you blitz the site pre development with roundup, and fill all ponds with cow slurry, I cannot possibly see how taking a bare plot of land like ours was (left untended for 30 years, turning to scrub) and building a house on it, could possibly ever increase the boidiversity.

A whole new industry for creative surveyors has opened up it would seem.

When I use ‘the matrix’ which natural England have clearly spent a lot of time developing… I got a 400% net gain turning my concrete drive with no vegetation into shrubs and wildflower grass totalling 0.002 hectares. Slightly confused with the hectare metric used for a site which is not even half a hectare! Que the helpful ecologist surveyor who wants £400 + vat for a 1 hour report, no doubt. 

13 minutes ago, Rishard said:

When I use ‘the matrix’ which natural England have clearly spent a lot of time developing… I got a 400% net gain turning my concrete drive with no vegetation into shrubs and wildflower grass totalling 0.002 hectares. Slightly confused with the hectare metric used for a site which is not even half a hectare! Que the helpful ecologist surveyor who wants £400 + vat for a 1 hour report, no doubt. 

My point exactly.

So now take 1/3 of an acre currently un tended for 30 years, mostly scrub, some trees.  Clear the site, remove all the saplings only leaving some of the mature trees, build a house on it, some land occupied by the house, some taken up for parking etc, the rest laid to lawn.  I defy anybody to be able to demonstrate how that could ever increase biodiversity?

If this becomes a requirement for all new dwellings then I really do see sites being rendered sterile before they even involve the planners.

It's a nonsense.

Isn't the key part 'diversity'.

So taking scrubland, which has low biodiversity and just planting plenty of different local plants, especially ones that may attract nesting birds increases the diversity.

It is the argument that golf courses use when converting farmland to waste of good building land.

I am using the small sites matrix yes. Have you filled it out? Where there is less to fill out than the larger site matrix it is still rather vague in terms of describing what I have. Like I said earlier, with my concrete drive I was able to increase diversity 400% with hedges and grass. Sub headings consist of, lakes, costal lagoons, rocky shore, coastal salt marsh, intertidal sediment, heathland and shrub, cropland. They all have slightly better options once you narrow them down but doesn’t go very close to describing the rose bush and rotten pear tree I have. I’m very much in favour of improving the diversity of the plot. 

4 hours ago, bob the builder 2 said:

any ideas how to do or calculate this

Yes you have to lie or do silly things in most cases. If this was brownfield then there is a chance. A  new building on virgin ground cannot increase nature, but can play with diversity .

Really you have to study the guidleines and tick the boxes.

I don't know what your targets are , but for Breeam ratings they have examples of what they count as significant creatures. So if there are sparrows but no bluetits, you put up bird houses that will encourage them, and a peanut tree. Etc

Don't assume that the officer who checks this will have the faintest idea so just go for it.

If you have a pond you cannot assume fish, frogs and newts. Only one of these will survive the others. Like paper, scissors, stone.

But the officer probably doesn't know this.

Google and google until you find someone else's report, and plagiarise it.

From my short experience with this, our written description of current flora and fauna on site plus our plans to introduce specific varieties of plants for nesting birds and insects and wasn’t well received. They wanted to know a number. I’ve sent the completed matrix which puts a huge percentage gain on the site. It doesn’t go far in representing the original layman’s description of habitats we aim to increase. It looks and acts more like an agricultural claim form for subsidies. 

arbtech will do your survey, starting at £496. As you would expect. 

My planning officer admits he doesn’t know what this should look like. I guess a headed letter with 15 pages of descriptions and small graphs would no doubt tick their box. 

• Like 1