Building regs and sign off one application or two?

We are currently in the process of getting ready to start building. I have been advised different thing by different people. We have planning permission for the house and garage but are not planning on building the garage for a few years (unless funds allow earlier). 

our problem is that we have been advised it might be a problem to get the house signed off without the garage built if they are done on the same application where as others have advised this wouldn’t be a problem. Does anyone have experience of this?

thanks in Ada Vance for any help.

Hi,

thanks for the reply’s so far, location is North Norfolk, so would come under English rules.

Building Control would be done through local authority as this is the builders preferred option and being a family member we trust his opinion. I did ask them and they basically just gave me two price options.

builder’s advice is to dig footing and fill at the same time as the house. 

one mortgage adviser suggested it could cause a problem with sign off to remortgage. A building society I spoke to said there would likely be no problem as they had never experienced one in the past.

Edited by bluebellcottage

Our previous house I did as 2 building warrants as we could not build the garage straight away.  For sign off of the house, without the garage, BC insisted that wall had at least the render scratch coat applied.  Then a couple  of years later we built the garage under a separate building warrant.

The garage was on the original planning application so no need to re apply for planning.

The only opinion worth having is the one given  you by the BCO. It's sensible to sort out the footings for both at the same time too. 

Just a nudge: remember a garage is a storage area: and we all need more of that now don't we? Cars can be defrosted.

Just a thought.

Our house and garage was on one Buildings Regs application.  BC signed the house off before the garage was built without a problem, suggesting that I'd have to submit another application when the garage was complete.  When the certificate came through however, it was as per the original application and included the non-existent garage.  When I do get round to building the garage, I don't think I'll need to trouble them any further 🙂