Paying tips to delivery drivers

2 hours ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

they expect it

I'm afraid so, so it has to be occasional. The worker has a flask, and it runs out about 3.00, so another mug then might help after 'how long are you carrying on'.

I found that the drinks and snacks don't appeal to Hungarian workers, as they preferred healthy, robust food. A slice of salami is another matter. And work the daylight hours less 1/2 hour. 9.5 hours work?

This contrasts dramatically with SE gangs who disappear for cooked breakfast at 9.00 having got their tools out and had a think, come back , then the work of the day then lunch break, and afternoon  break. between 8.10 and 4.00 typically. 6 hours work?

No cost difference if on a price but the programme is affected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redoctober said:

Never considered "tipping" a delivery driver and not come across one who "appeared" to expect such a gesture.

Early in the build I arranged for a full skip to be collected. The window installers had nudged it out of the way with their tele handler so it was in an awkward spot.

Skip driver came and said he couldn't get it out, I would need whoever put it there to put it back.

I said that was not possible, so he replied that he'd do the extra work 'for a drink'.

I said 'Great, tea or coffee' and an awkward silence ensued. Penny dropped. Gave him a fiver and he got on with it. 

Edited by Bitpipe
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I'm afraid so, so it has to be occasional. The worker has a flask, and it runs out about 3.00, so another mug then might help after 'how long are you carrying on'.

I found that the drinks and snacks don't appeal to Hungarian workers, as they preferred healthy, robust food. A slice of salami is another matter. And work the daylight hours less 1/2 hour. 9.5 hours work?

This contrasts dramatically with SE gangs who disappear for cooked breakfast at 9.00 having got their tools out and had a think, come back , then the work of the day then lunch break, and afternoon  break. between 8.10 and 4.00 typically. 6 hours work?

Nagyon kemény munka azt Magyars!!

9 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Igen is I believe the reply. What a tricky language. I only recognise people's names. Fortunately half of them are Atilla.

Hungary has a relatively small pot of common names, so it is common to have people with the same name in a group of friends. It makes me wonder what taking the register is like in school 😂

And they have ‘name day’ on which your name is celebrated like a birthday. Today is Gábor and Karina day. 

I speak basic Hungarian, although have forgotten a great deal of it now. It is quite a challenging one to speak well. I’ve never progressed beyond sounding like a toddler 🤣

• Like 1

14 hours ago, saveasteading said:

The MBC crew (all Irish) would always go the extra mile for a bacon sandwich. 

Something about adding tip to bills.

Donald Duck walked into a drugstore and asked for a packet of condoms. "Certainly, sir." said the lady behind the counter, "Shall I put them on your bill?"

"No way!" replied Donald Duck, "What do you think I am, a dickhead?

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Omnibuswoman said:

...  It is quite a challenging one to speak well. I’ve never progressed beyond sounding like a toddler 

Ughhh, it's awful.

My BiL learned  seven or eight languages, challenged me to learn Hungarian with him one summer holiday. I started, but faltered quickly.  It's one of the Uralic language family - and so challenges every last thing anyone using a Germanic family language is used to.  Prefixes become suffixes - it's a mess. 

Damn-it. I'll have another bash when I finish this sodding build. Thanks for the nudge.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

Ughhh, it's awful.

My BiL learned  seven or eight languages, challenged me to learn Hungarian with him one summer holiday. I started, but faltered quickly.  It's one of the Uralic language family - and so challenges every last thing anyone using a Germanic family language is used to.  Prefixes become suffixes - it's a mess. 

Damn-it. I'll have another bash when I finish this sodding build. Thanks for the nudge.

Szivesen!