Paying tips to delivery drivers

I’ve noticed that delivery drivers tend to want to hang around for a “chat” after delivering goods - one even stopped for 10 mins to wax lyrical about how generous one of his customers had been giving him a case of beer… 

It occurred to me that I have no idea whether or how much to tip a delivery driver. I am not someone who keeps cash or beers lying around, so I need to know whether to stockpile a stash of something to tip with.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Morgan 

I would only tip someone that went out of their way, not just to do their job! Frankly the same with waiters etc, only the nice ones that make a real effort (and in cash to them, not the “pot”.)

Edited by joe90
  • Like 2

No!

Lol, to be blunt.

The whole American tipping culture is not something to be encouraged in my opinion. It is a moral minefield and encourages people not to pay their staff properly. There are places who ask for a tip in the US now when you buy a bottle of water or pack of candy. I tip where I know that basically the staff aren't paid properly unless you tip, e.g. cruises and restaurants although frankly I would rather they put up prices and paid them.

I did buy a load of chocolate and give out little parcels at Christmas to regulars like the Tesco guys who come every 5 days. I consider that more of a than you than a tip.

Generally we average 1-2 deliveries a day. If someone was hanging around he probably just had a bit of time and fancied a chat. Most of them don't even have time to wait for you to answer the door.

I worked in a supermarket for 5 years at school and university. Was as helpful as possible, got an award for it. Never once got or expected a tip. Just enjoyed doing my job properly and helping people.

• Like 2

I never tip them either. I do tend to put some effort into making things as easy as possible for them though in terms of ensuring sufficient space for them to unload, helping them reverse back out etc and that always seems to go down well. I just try to be a 'nice/good/appreciative customer', but not in a gifting sort of way.

I remember as a kid when my Dad used to deliver oil to all sorts of places from houses to warships he'd often come back with all sorts of gifts e.g. crates of beer, trays of Pot Noodles, bottles of spirits etc. Not sure if it was more of a Christmas thing though, and I might be misremembering (and exaggerating) the regularity of such occasions.

Edited by MJNewton
  • Like 1

I've worked on both sides and never expected a tip, nor would I ever tip now. Many moons ago I delivered a caravan to a customer, probably 200 miles away, and they offered us some home made spag bol and ice cream for pudding, that was the best tip I ever got :)

Edited by jayc89
  • Haha 1

Oh that’s great. I thought I might be committing some awful faux pas of builders’ etiquette!!

The one that hacked me off was the equipment hire chap who dropped off the genie lifting gear at the bottom of the drive, leaving us to haul it almost 100m up an uneven incline unaided, and still seemed to be expecting something. He was the one who told me repeatedly about the generosity of his other customers. IMHO he’s already being paid to do the thing he just did, and was uncomfortable that I couldn’t get rid of him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omnibuswoman said:

I’ve noticed that delivery drivers tend to want to hang around for a “chat” after delivering goods - one even stopped for 10 mins to wax lyrical about how generous one of his customers had been giving him a case of beer… 

It occurred to me that I have no idea whether or how much to tip a delivery driver. I am not someone who keeps cash or beers lying around, so I need to know whether to stockpile a stash of something to tip with.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Morgan 

I only tip the takeaway delivery guy/girl. I give them £1.50. No other form of delivery driver will ever get anything from me, doing their job. Takeaway drivers get something because they are usually students. 

My brother often gives them things, screen wash was one tip he gave a guy, he gave a girl bleach once. I am not kidding. He never has change and just gives them stuff. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Has it occurred to you that you might be one of the few people who is willing to talk to delivery drivers? 

A smile and bit of banter is worth a great deal. 

I did wonder that too! I’m pretty friendly and happy to pass the time of day for a few mins. If I were a driver I’d want the excuse to have a stretch and a change of scenery for a moment. But my instinct was telling me that it was more than that, and then my mum mentioned when he left that she thought he had been waiting for a tip. That’s what I had thought but hadn’t wanted to say. 

• Like 1

Respect goes a long way., and that can just be a smile.

They are doing their job and a tip would only be for something beyond the call of duty. eg hiab driver offloading. then moving a pallet again to the perfect spot.

Coffee and a bun yes.

If I was managing a 'big day' (time critical) but was not needed for a short time I would buy bacon rolls/ coffees etc for the workers, as they didn't have to stop/ deserved it anyway.

Likewise working through foul weather.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Omnibuswoman said:

Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Morgan 

If it is a ‘special delivery ‘ I.e he’s driven for hours then I offer use of the toilet , drink and give him 20 quid ( especially if he helps me unload ( not a euphemism ) ) .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saveasteading said:

was managing a 'big day' (time critical) but was not needed for a short time I would buy bacon rolls/ coffees etc for the workers, as they didn't have to stop/ deserved it anyway.

When my glazing was installed I had maybe 12 guys on site . I went to the bakers and bought coffee , pasty , Doughnut and sandwich each . Cost me about 160 quid !! 😁🙄🙄😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Omnibuswoman said:

But my instinct was telling me that it was more than that, and then my mum mentioned when he left that she thought he had been waiting for a tip.

and 

3 hours ago, Omnibuswoman said:

I’ve noticed that delivery drivers tend to want to hang around for a “chat” after delivering goods -...

Bit of a semantic slip-up there Morgan.  There's a pattern here isn't there? Blushing yet? Hope so! 😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Low cut top should take their mind off it. Maybe a bit of vpl for good measure.

I’m not sure that many of the drivers who deliver to us would appreciate me wearing a low cut top…. 

p.s. no tips here either! Will make tea/provide doughnuts etc for guys and girls on site (but not too much - too many tea breaks and they expect it and the work grinds slowly to a halt) but no money here!

Edited by CotswoldDoItUpper
  • Like 2

I think some of them are on their own for long periods and value some friendly chat which is nearly always pleasant.

Our biggest problem at the moment is that no one is one site just now. They are always told to ring 1/2 an hour before they get there and someone will be there but they rarely do.

This week I've had someone call me once they got there with no warning then complain that the "Cedral is F***ing heavy" and he could not wait 5 minutes. Another dumped our oven and hob on the driveway, no call, no warning. We only found out when we went round in they evening. 

Honestly, I think I would buy from John Lewis just because their delivery drivers are excellent. Still not going to tip them though. 

• Like 1

Never considered "tipping" a delivery driver and not come across one who "appeared" to expect such a gesture. That said, the majority of delivery drivers I dealt with, seemed keen to stop, chat and look / enquire, as to how the build was going. Never dawned on me that they may have been lingering for a tip!

As a complete aside, things do seem to be getting out of hand though - we leave our bin men, postie and local courier a tub of sweets at Christmas, as a gesture of our appreciation but our son, who lives in a major residential estate in an urban environment, told me that on his "community FB page" someone had organised a "whip round" for the local postie for Christmas. He was shocked to discover that the organiser of said "collection," presented the postie with a cheque for £1000 - yes £1k!!! Crazy times!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

He was shocked to discover that the organiser of said "collection," presented the postie with a cheque for £1000 - yes £1k!!! Crazy times!!!

Wow! I remember my dad used to give the bin men (scaffies) booze at Xmas. The understanding being that they would take away the odd large item throughout the year without any problems.

22 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Wow! I remember my dad used to give the bin men (scaffies) booze at Xmas. The understanding being that they would take away the odd large item throughout the year without any problems.

i used to work in a drug rehab unit. One of my clients was an ex dustbin man (a job that fitted nicely around his addiction apparently). I remember him speaking about the amount of money they would get at Xmas from different businesses and householders. Thousands of pounds in tips. I was quite shocked that they would get tips for doing what they’re paid for! But as you say, this was more a financial recognition for looking the other way when a mattress or other waste was taken away unofficially. 

Builders/window fitters/groundworkers/you can complete the list....       like cake.....

If you can't bake, or didn't marry one that can, get round the local cake shop and provide...

Simon

PS my other half can - thank goodness

PPS no tips for delivery folks though.......

• Like 1

Never tipped a delivery driver, but probably should do something to recognise our local Amazon and Hermes drivers. For all the shit we read in the news, there's about 3-4 regulars, and over the years they've always gone out of their way to leave the packages, even when it involves them entering a building site, clambering over some rubble and putting it safely in a box somewhere. It's a thankless task, with ridiculous time pressure and having to drive through difficult towns and villages trying to find houses with no number or name.

• Like 2